Transparent background using photoshop?

Ok well I'm trying to make a signature for a website but every time I upload the image to Flickr the image background is black.

I am using photoshop and i save the image as an interlaced png file.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong

Favorite Answer

i don't use Flickr so i don't know for sure, but, the problem sounds to me to be that Flickr doesn't support transparency. I would try Photobucket. I'm 100% positive that they do support transparency.

Try using an image editing software that enables you to select the background portion. In my example, I'll mention the instructions when using Photoshop. First, open the file in Photoshop then make sure that the image is not the background layer. If you're image IS the background layer, double click on the background layer in the layers palette then press enter. This way, it'd be an ordinary layer. Next, you click on the Magic Wand tool, then click on the white background. You'll notice that the whole white background (or at least most of it) has been selected in a marquee. Press delete. Now you've completely deleted the white background (or most of it, just rinse and repeat if necessary). This is not enough though if you plan to use it in other purposes. Of course you'd have to save it as a portable image file (jpeg, etc). While saving on jpeg might work, it will return the white background you removed so you definitely need to save it in anotehr file format the accomodates or allows transparency. I suggest .png or .gif.