I didn't even get an interview. What happened?

So here's my story:

I work in the business end of healthcare for a large practice. I have been in my job for 7 years and in that time, I graduated from college with a BA (in History). This has been a great job to get me through college, but now I am married and we want to start a family. My wage is less than $30k a year. I applied for a job doing the same thing I do now (but way more money) at a local hospital. My mom is in management there in a different dept, but she hooked me up with the appropriate contacts. I completed the hospital's app, sent in a great resume, went down there for a follow up (per their instructions), I called last week (no one called me back) and they called my present supervisor who gave me a stellar reference. I heard today that they filled the position. I didn't even get an interview and was more than qualified for the job.

Other job-seekers, what happened??

• Simba
    Favorite Answer

That's tough. Did you hear directly from the company that the position was filled? Or did you hear it "through the grapevine"? Maybe you were given incorrect information about the position being filled. I personally have never heard of references being checked unless you are at least being considered. Then if the reference was good, being "overlooked" for an interview.

I would follow up with the hiring manager and ask their point of view. Good Luck!

it's all bout who you know so whoever got the job probably knew someone higher or the place knew your mom hooked you up with the app and didn't want you working there too somwthing happend between the call to you former employer and whenever who know's I'm sure you were qualified move on to bigger and better and stop trying to figure out why you'll go nuts good luck!

you should contact the recruiter, and in a very polite manner ask if you are still been consider as a potential employee, because.... and tell him/ her that you are very much interested in working for that company but you realized that the position you have applied for is no longer available, explain whatever you did by their request, and ask him/ her was there anything wrong with my qualification? was there anything wrong with my background check? ask for a copy of Ur background check hospitals are very particular about your character as a potential member of their staff, try to get a copy to make sure there are no discrepancies, and re-apply. do this in person, go to HR,when you re-apply change your e-mail and your profile so they will not just passed you, in their system. good luck.

Maybe other person more qualified, or hired from within, or company policy against hiring outside first....any number of reasons.

• Angie

Sometimes it's not what you know, but who you know. It's possible that they already had another candidate in mind for the job. Don't take it personally.

move on and find another job, sounds like those pricks cant even get their **** together.