Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 1 decade ago

Japanese sword-fighting schools in Manila?

I am looking for a dojo that teaches Japanese sword-fighting in Manila, Philippines. Does anyone know of any?

*I didn't want to narrow my search too far down by looking for a kenjutsu or kendo school or whatnot; hence the really broad question. Basically I just want to know what choices are available to me first. Thanks for the help!

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

For kendo, you can try the Manila Kendo Club which is based in the RFM Gym which is near the Boni-EDSA Intersection in Mandaluyong City. Practice sessions are every Saturday, 5-7 pm. Unfortunately we only take students every first Saturday of January and July, so you're a little late for the July class. You are very much welcome to drop by and view a session though.

For iaido, someone started a study group for Mugai Ryu in the Kiryukan Dojo, P. Tuazon cor 10th Ave, Cubao, Quezon City. Not sure about the details, but I believe they hold classes every Saturday, 1-230pm.

Source(s): 1) I am a member of Manila Kendo Club. 2) http://www.kendo-world.com/forum/showthread.php?t=...
  • 3 years ago

Manila Kendo Club

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

I don't know what you're talking about (nor do you, for that matter). Kendo has tons of sparring and it gets VERY intense. Bamboo is a type of wood, and they use that for sparring. Kenjutsu is the old-school martial art of Japanese swordsmanship. It is Kendo's predecessor. The practice lingers mostly on kata, but ought to have some sparring as well. Anyways, you can't ask for Japanese sword fighting and refuse both Kendo and Kenjutsu. That's like asking for a sport that involves striking only with your fists -- but not boxing! Kendo and Kenjutsu is pretty much all you have for Japanese sword arts. If you're interested in something less realistic but very intense and high-action, with weapons that are light enough to allow you to mimic your favorite anime moves, you could check out Chambara. It's pretty much freestyle swordfighting with a Kendo-based scoring system (except they allow leg-strikes) using foam swords. EDIT: oh! How the heck did I forget Iaido?!?!?! Good catch k_snake! However, there's no sparring in Iaido. I've practiced all of the above briefly, and I found Kendo to be most intense, followed by Chanbara, followed by Kenjutsu, followed by Iaido -- based on how much sparring and live drilling there was.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

what age is your youngest student? how much per sesion?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.