Insulin pump for toddler?

When my daughter (2 1/2) was diagnosed with diabetes in March we had asked the endo about pumping. At that time they told us we were at least a year from that. I am having a horrible time controlling my baby's bg's. I'm expecting a call from the endo's office today or tomorrow. What I'd like is good solid arguments for why we should put her on a pump. The next nearest pediatric endo is 3 hours away! So I will be persistent and even demanding if I have to. She's currently using Novolog and Lantus. I think she actually needs increases of 1/4 units but I just don't trust myself to try and eyeball it. So good arguments for the pump please!

Favorite Answer

There are a couple of reasons why an endo would postpone recommendation for the pump. One would be how well you're doing absorbing all you've been blindsided with, combined with how well you're managing the disease. If you as a parent are doing a poor job with your child's management, he won't recommend you.

Please note... Having crazy BGs doesn't necessarily mean you're doing a poor job. A roller coaster ride is par for the course with a munchkin. They get varying degrees of exercise, have less immunities, and are constantly growing. Plus she's in her honeymoon phase. Said another way, crazy blood sugar readings will never be the sole basis for an endo's decision not to recommend. The reason I stress that is because it's easy to take it personally as a parent when you're doing everything you can and still getting nutty sugars.

Some endos however, reserve personal judgement entirely and instead put a minimum amount of time they'd like the family to use injections before recommending the pump. Those doctors are of the opinion that it takes this amount of time to develop a real understanding of the disease, recognize highs and lows, juggle injections/ketones/BG checks, and for your daughter to adapt to the changes. It's not an irresponsible decision. It can however be frustrating for the parents who are sure they're ready for the transition.

The pump will help improve BGs and A1c. If she's very insulin/carb senstive, it doesn't make anything magically change. My best advice to you would to be to do your homework on pumps, identify what you are looking for in a pump (they all have different areas of expertise), and be prepared to enter a meaningful conversation, friendly controversy about the child's best interest. It will impress him if you are informed on the subject, and will surely affect his opinion to recommend.

To get you started on research, hearing your situation, I'd recommend Animas or Minimed for your daughter. Animas can deliver insulin in .01 increments, this is especially useful with a child so small. Minimed is compatible with a continuous glucose monitoring system. A CGMS takes continual BGs every 15 mintues (does not replace regular BG checks though). If she were to continue unexplainably with wild BGs, a CGMS could help zero in on trends and causes. Some people will tell you that the Cozmo is the greatest because it's springloaded injections minimize the pain. While this is true, those particular injections go "straight in" and a child that young isn't eligible for that type of injection (not enough fat).

Good luck, feel free to email me if you like. Our daughters have a lot in common and I'd be happy to share with you some of our experience.

Source(s): Mom to type 1, age 6 Dx age 3 Minimed Pumper

there is quite a few sorts of diabetes. type I diabetes is a condition the place the pancreas isn't able to produce insulin, so insulin injections are the only selection (different than transplantation, which remains often experimental). Injections might probably commence right this moment alongside with general blood sorting out to verify the suitable dosage, yet some human beings are stated an endocrinologist. With type II diabetes, someone can produce insulin, yet no longer sufficient to maintain glucose at a secure point. this type of diabetes can each from time to time be dealt with with eating regimen regulations and medicines, yet each from time to time insulin is mandatory. type II diabetes is unusual in a youthful baby.

Just a few of the many things I love that my pump can do:

1. Adjust higher basal rate in AM to cover dawn phenomenon

2. Make tiny adjustments in basals and boluses (meal doses)

3. Give myself tiny amounts of insulin for a bite of food

4. Adjust it down before I exercise so I don't have to eat

5. It's the closest thing we have to an artificial pancreas

6. Set it so it gives me insulin in a delayed dose to cover fatty foods

This article about toddlers and pumps might be helpful:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/462784

Source(s): Type 1 for 24 years, happy pumper for 5
  • tizmal

so sorry about such an early diagnosis of diabetes for your baby.....my heart goes out to you. :( well, i am diabetic myself but i don't have the pump, i also use lantus and it works well for me. i do know several people that have it and they love it. one of my former coworkers has one and she thought it was great. she said she just adjusted it to whatever amount of carbs she was eating and that was it. and she ate mcdonalds, chinese, whatever. i don't know the specifics of how it worked but she loved it. there is also a new device out there called the omnipod you might want to look into that i was intrigued by. here is the link if you want more info.....

MyOmniPod.com/DemoKit25

hope that will help you!