Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsSkin Conditions · 1 decade ago

Neurodermatitis, severe itch. Please help?

Hi, my mom has a neurodermatitis, in other words she itches a lot. Her whole body itches throughout the day. Does anyone know what I am talking about and would you recommend any specific doctors/dermatologist for it. Thanks a lot !

Doctors in LA please

Favorite Answer

How weird I my self JUST signed in going to ask the same sort of question! I too ITCH constantly, Everywhere from my scalp to the souls of my feet. I don't always have a rash or marks per say but always the itching!! I have been to numerous different doctors and was diagnosed with everything from stress to phryosis,-( not sure how to spell), allergies to one doctor telling me that it was all in my head.Had he felt what this is like he would be begging me for forgiveness.,because it is maddening!!!!!!!!!

Today though I was speaking with my essthitican and she mentioned having a Yeast infection on my skin. At first I thought her to just be teasing me but she wasn't (she had suffered the same problem a few years ago. I went straight to vitamin cottage and purchased same ACIDOPHILUS ( In case your not knowing what that is) its the natural bacteria that lives in your stomach and helps you digest your food,. It is also the Good bacteria found in yogurt. Most of all it kills YEAST.

Sense today happens to be Sunday I haven't been able to speak to my Doctor. Alas I cant answer your question only give a little advise and for us to both hope that a doctor, or an educated person on this subject answers us both.If my essthetican is correct this should be a fairly easy way for both your mother and myself may finally get some relief

SO I BEG OF THE ALL YOU READERS AND ANSWER'S GIVE US HOPE

Neurodermatitis — also known as lichen simplex chronicus or scratch dermatitis — isn't serious, but breaking the itch-scratch cycle is challenging. Successful treatment of neurodermatitis depends on identifying and eliminating factors that may be aggravating the problem. Over-the-counter and prescription creams can help. Once the scratching stops, it can take months for the skin to return to normal.

Signs and symptoms of neurodermatitis include:

Itchy skin in a single, limited area

Leathery or scaly texture to the skin

Raised, rough patch that is red or darker than the rest of your skin

The primary symptom of neurodermatitis is itchy skin — often a single patch on the neck, wrist, forearm, thigh or ankle. Sometimes neurodermatitis affects genital areas, such as the vulva or scrotum.

The itchiness tends to come and go. It may be most noticeable when you're at rest — watching TV or sleeping, for example — and disappear when you're active. Anxiety or stress can make the itchiness worse. Eventually you may scratch simply out of habit.

The itching can be very intense. As you rub or scratch the area, it gets itchier. And the more it itches, the more you scratch. Breaking this itch-scratch cycle can be challenging.

See your doctor if:

You catch yourself repeatedly scratching the same patch of skin.

You're so uncomfortable that you're losing sleep or are distracted from your daily routines.

Your skin becomes painful.

You suspect your skin is infected. Signs of infection include pain or a yellowish, thick fluid draining from the scratched areas.

To stop the stubborn itch-scratch cycle, you must stop scratching the affected area. It's bound to be tough, but you can do it. And your doctor can help.

Your doctor may recommend one or more of the following treatments:

Prescription medication. Oral corticosteroids and antihistamines may be necessary to reduce the inflammation and relieve the intense itching. Antidepressants or anti-anxiety medications may be helpful for some people. If you develop a bacterial infection in the rash, your doctor may prescribe an antibiotic lotion or oral antibiotics.

Wet dressings. This involves applying medicated cream to affected areas and then covering these areas with damp cotton material that has been soaked in water or other solutions. The moisture in the wet dressings helps the skin absorb the medicated cream. Plastic tape with medication in the adhesive, which is changed every 24 hours, also may be used.

Counseling. A counselor can help you learn how your emotions and behaviors can fuel — or prevent — itching and scratching. Counseling may also help you learn stress management techniques.

Even after successful treatment, mild scarring or changes in skin color could remain.

Lifestyle and home remedies

The following are ways you can lessen the itch and irritation caused by neurodermatitis.

Try over-the-counter (nonprescription) creams or medications. Apply an anti-itch cream or lotion to the affected area. A nonprescription hydrocortisone cream, containing at least 1 percent hydrocortisone, can temporarily relieve the itch. A nonprescription oral antihistamine, such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl, others), may be helpful if itching is severe.

Cover the affected area with cool, wet compresses. Bandages or dressings can help protect the skin and prevent scratching. This may be especially important if you scratch during your sleep.

Take a comfortably cool bath. Sprinkle the bath water with baking soda, uncooked oatmeal or colloidal oatmeal — a finely ground oatmeal that is made for the bathtub (Aveeno, others).

Wear smooth-textured cotton clothing. This will help you avoid irritation.

Choose mild soaps without dyes or perfumes. Be sure to rinse the soap completely off your body. And after washing, apply a moisturizer to protect your skin.

Keep stress under control. Stress and anxiety can trigger itching.