Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

any good novels or books??

its summer and i'm bored and i used to loveeeee reading i would read like 2 or 3 books a week and i fell behind my mind is busy lol well is there any really god books any one would recomend please..i have a lot of free time in the morning and night and train and i just want to find a great book that will teach me someting ;)

-thankss

Update:

well i like adventure, mystery, suspense umm i duno im not a picky person with books any book i get ill read it if i don't like it i wait till im like 50 pages in then ill give it up cuz i know it takes a while sometimes with some bookss...any classics or novels?

Update 2:

oh my god yea i love sarah dessen's books i read dream land and this lullaby they made me cry like a baby especially this lullaby i loved them shes an amazing writer :)

Update 3:

thankyou guys most of these books ive actually read or heard of but theyre all by really great authors thankyou :) i'll try and read all of these lol

Update 4:

lol yea i read the sisterhood of traveling pants they were good..i tried harry potter a few times the books kind of bore me cuz ive seen the movies already like a million times im a huge fan just not of the books..ill try the twilight series tho

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Darla
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Hi,

Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell is a great book, and you will definitely learn about some american history. if you didn't like the movie, read the book, then try the movie again. amazing book, and movie.

Life on the Mississippi by Mark Twain. a great tale by a great story teller. based on his own life, there is a lot to be learned about historically there as well.

A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett is one of my favorite childhood books that i still read about once a year. it teaches me how to try to hang onto my dignity in times of trouble, and when dealing with others. it teaches me about inner strength, and hope, and charity. wonderful tale.

Dracula by Bram Stoker. the original classic tale of the vampire. if you haven't read it, please do, see how hollywood has botched up the whole thing. what a great story of friendships - i am forever inspired by the bonds in this.

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. another great book destroyed by hollywood. read the original, if you haven't already, it is always a treat.

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. tale of a woman, her hardships, the strange life she leads. another inspiring tale of inner strength and dignity.

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. another tale of a child growing and learning. heartbreaking and heartwarming to the last.

Watership Down by Richard Adams. not sure what i learn when i read this, except a bit about bunny rabbits, and 'human' nature. entertaining and strange tale of bunnies. not for children, though - it can be disturbing following the trials and travails of bunnies in their society.

for pure entertainment value, read all of the Doctor Dolittle books by Hugh Lofting - try to find them with his pen and ink drawings included. he wrote them for his children while he was off fighting in ww1. ignore the movies and read the books. read them in order, too, for continuity's sake.

there are so many amazing novels out there, Charles Dickens are more difficult reading, but you will definitely get a greater sense of england in the 1800s - politically, socially, etc...

The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas (Pere). a tale based on history and based on the diaries of a soldier in the 1700s. there are real people in the book, including the cardinal richlieu, who, incidentally, invented mayonnaise! that's not included in the book, though. again, ignore the movies and read this!

Don Quixote by Cervantes. not sure what exactly is to be learned from this. it is an amusing tale of a strange fellow and his stranger adventures.

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain. he wrote this when he was peeved at england. totally amusing, ironic, and quite a social commentary.

The Iliad, and then The Odyssey by Homer. The Iliad is the original and fantastic epic of the trojan war, about the only historical account - though it is mostly fiction. then move on to one of my favorite books ever - The Odyssey. the adventures of the epitome of 'adventure hero' - his journey home from the war. both classic books.

of course, there's 1984 by George Orwell. a tale of a dark future world that takes place in 1984. learn how it relates to the world today, and what people are talking about when they mention 'Big Brother' as it relates to today's society.

well, good luck finding something to read... if you don't get any answers that do it for you, ask your librarian to help you... you'll make their day!

Happy Reading!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The Perks Of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Such a Pretty Girl by Laura Weiss

Leftovers by Laura Weiss

Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom

A Million Little Pieces by James Frey

My Friend Leonard by James Frey

Running With Scissors, Dry, Magical Thinking, Possible Side Affects, Selleviosn, A Wolf At the Table by Augusten Burroughs

Carry Me Down by M.J. Hyland

Just a few of my favorites :)

• 1 decade ago

Maximum Ride series

To Kill A Mockingbird

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series

Interview With A Vampire and series

All Creatures Great and Small

A Separate Peace

Also, you can try http://www.whatshouldireadnext.com/search for books similar to ones you like :)

• 1 decade ago

ellen hopkins:

1 burned

2 impulse

3 crank

4 glass (sequel to crank)

jodi picoult:

1 the tenth circle (the movie did it NO justice)

2 the pact

3 ninteen minutes

4 my sisters keeper

melissa kantor;

1 if i have a wicked stepmother where is my prince charming

e lockhart;

1 the boyfriend list

2 the boy book

3 fly on the wall

hope i could help. these are all really good page turners !

i think you would really like these :)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Interview with the Vampire by: Anne Rice ( Very disturbing and slightly erotic)

The Looking Glass Wars by: Frank Beddor (not bad at all)

Go Ask Alice by: Anonymous ( a must read!)

East by: Edith Pattou

These are just a few.

• 1 decade ago

Uhmm theres alot of good books,

for sure you should read

twilight, new moon, and eclipse

also if you havent read harry potter i suggest them

also

the golden compass is a good book

along with confessions of a shopaholic

wuthering heights

Julius Cesar

the series of unfortunate events

Stolen from kelly armstong

and alotttt more

• Chi
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Dead Air by Bob Larson

Popular Clarion, Indiana radio talk show host Wes Bryan is alarmed when nine-year-old Jennifer calls into his show, "Talk About Town." She can't tell him where she is, she can't tell him who is hurting her, but the fear in Jennifer's voice is unmistakable, and Wes is compelled by nearly forgotten convictions to discover who is abusing this child and why.

^I read it along while ago, but it was an amazing book, I bought it for a dollar at a book store in Ga, that sells books for a dollar, and I'm glad I did. It's based off a true story, it's sad, but good. I figured I'd be different, I mean I could have rec Twilight, Harry Potter, or other known books like everyone else, but I'm sure if you wanted to read them you would have by now.

Another One.

Roxy's Baby by:Catherine MacPhail

"Roxy wanted to cry. But she couldn't cry. She needed to think..."

Roxy is wild, uncontrollable. She hates life at home - and her goody-two-shoes sister. Her only solace is her equally wild friends. Then there is the night of the party, where she lets that boy kiss her, and more....and Roxy is pregnant. Wilfully, she won't tell her mother or her family, instead she runs away to London.

"Roxy was shaking with fear. She drew in a deep dreath. She would not let her fear take over. She couldn't. She had too much to lose. She had to be strong, to be brave. For once in her life she had to think of someone other than herself."

And in London Roxy is found by Mr and Mrs Dyce. They are understanding, sympathetic, and promise her a way out of her troubles. They take her to a comfortable place, along with other girls in the same position, and look after her and her unborn baby. But Roxy eventually works out the dark truth behind the outwardly compassionate Dyces. There is only one way out - and it's dangerous. But now Roxy has her baby to look after.

^I loved this book, Roxy reminds me of a friend who had to deal with a speedy re-marriage. So I understand why Roxy acts how acts how she does. I loved Roxy's growth in the books, and how she changes into a wonderful lady.

• 1 decade ago

These are some really good books that I've read and thoroughly enjoyed:

-the Bartimaeus trilogy by Jonathan Stroud*****

-the Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Coffer*

-The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen(any book by her)

-Hawksong(series) by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes(any book by her)

-The Shannara series by Terry Brooks*****

-Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

-Watership Down by Richard Adams

-Great Expectations by Charles Dickens*

-Warrior Cats series by Erin Hunter

-The Counte of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas*

-The Princess Bride by William Goldman*

-Discworld series by Terry Pratchet*****

-Battle Royale by Roushun Takami*****

*s are the ones I really REALLY recommend for anyone to read, and the ones with five *s are the best books I've ever read in my life!!!!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I would recommend the Twilight Series or the Sisterhood of Traveling pants.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

User above just reminded me about the Looking Glass Wars.

Check those out, they're pretty awesome.

But only if you've read the classic first.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.