Indy Mac Mortgage HELP!?

I seek your advice and opinions, please. My parents purchased a home in 2004, originally had a good loan and affordable-$2400/month. My father was bread winner and paid most of the rent. My parents divorced in 2005. My mother alone, who was a first time home buyer, Indy mac loans under her name, had to pay the... show more I seek your advice and opinions, please.
My parents purchased a home in 2004, originally had a good loan and affordable-$2400/month. My father was bread winner and paid most of the rent. My parents divorced in 2005.

My mother alone, who was a first time home buyer, Indy mac loans under her name, had to pay the full rent til' today. She has never been late/default on her mortgage payments. She works two jobs. She refinanced twice, once in 2005 and second time in late 2006 to drop down her monthly rent. Now, she is in negative amortization (she owes more than the house is worth, pre-penalty until Sept 2009 (then she will need to pay close to $4,000 of mortgage) on the 1200 sq. ft. house.

My mother being uneducated on the real estate business, and dealing with those sneaky mortgage consultants/lenders that set her up on these bad loan terms, now will need to pay about 4,000 per month next year.

can she do a loan modification to go back to at least $2400/month? Loss of Mitigation Dept.
Update: -continued...we just heard of the Loss of mitigation dept in Indy Mac and seeking if we can negotiate.... if not then we all know where this is going..into foreclosure...