how many people still have land line telephones? I used to get polled during elections but since I dropped the

land line,they dont have my cell number. Just wondering what effect this may have on polling. Is it mostly older people the poll calls are reaching? I know my three boy's are college students and are very politically active this election,more so than ever are young people getting envolved, I know they arent polling these people that only have cell phones.

Best Answer

That's a good point about the means to truly reach a diverse group of voters. To answer your question, I still have 1 land line. We have 3 cell phones in my family and 1 VoIP phone. As far as polling, I think some of the reputable polling places also have been using the Internet to collect data as well - MySpace, Facebook, online polls (like CNN's website), etc. - which has the opposite effect of what your point is - online means probably reach the younger folks - yet not the older folks as much.

I still have one...and I still use it often...Many times my cell phone is in another room or in my purse..

I think it will make a big impact as far as polling,,,but it's time they get with the time on polling I guess..(none of my 4 kids have home lines either...Times are a changing ).I hate cold calls but I am never rude...That has to be one of the worst jobs people have and are always getting people upset at them for calling.

I also know the Do not call # and use it and tell others to use it if they don't want those calls.

Amongst people 18-25, only about 25-30 percent have landlines. And I would imagine you'd get similar numbers for single adults and those living in major cities. Here in NY, I don't know a single person with a landline and I'm almost 30. The results for landline polls are almost always dramatically skewed to the right, which is why most credible organizations have began looking for new ways to conduct their surveys.

• #$)&%

My children are politically active as well and they only have cell phones. I think the polls are skewed for this reason. Older people are now forgoing landlines because of the convenience of cell phones and pollsters don't call those, from what I understand.

Great question.

But pollsters divide their sample into groups that represent the population to the best extent that they can... the phone calls are not random. For example, if the population is 20% aged 20-29, then they will only poll that same percentage so that the sample mean closely equates to the population mean.

So no, not much effect on the results.

We still have a land line. We have been polled on it, but not on our cell phones. I believe that this primary was the only time we have been called. With caller ID, we don't usually answer if we don't who is calling.

• ann

My family has a land line. We're a private number, so we don't show up on phonebooks, and no one other than people we give our phone numbers to call us. It's pretty fantasic. :]

Everyone has a cell phone too, hah. My parents want to know where we are, in case of emergencies, etcc. Plus, texting is fun. xP

• Phone pickings are slimmer for pollsters. You are correct.

So they just come to Yahoo Answers and get all that highly informed opinion of those normal, well-adjusted tax-paying citizens and voters straight from the P&G section!

>coff coff<

I have a land line phone. I have only been called by those people once. We aren't like old or anything so maybe your right.

I have a land line, but I've never been polled...so they can't say "EVERYBODY" when they announce the results.

P.S. NEVER get rid of your land line phone. It is the only phone that will still work during a blackout.