Why do some people think marijuana should be legalized?

I have discussed this topic with many people in the past, and everyone who says it should be legalized only support their decision with, "Because it feels good," or "A lot of other countries made it legal, why can't we?" or "It's freedom of choice! Who cares if we smoke pot?"... show more I have discussed this topic with many people in the past, and everyone who says it should be legalized only support their decision with, "Because it feels good," or "A lot of other countries made it legal, why can't we?" or "It's freedom of choice! Who cares if we smoke pot?" Even though I have a neutral point on this, I can't help but think that there are so many reasons against marijuana legalization. For example, there are hundreds, even thousands of deaths per year that are related to mind-altering substance abuse, and the U.S. spends tons of money on anti-smoking campaigns, so wouldn't we just be losing money and lives? Does anybody have a good reason for why they think marijuana should be made legal?
23 answers 23