What's the most spontaneous thing you've ever done as far as changing your looks?

It was a 103 yesterday with a heat index of 107. I walked in Wal-Mart and looked like I just got out of the pool and was trying to tie my hair up that kept falling. I turned around and saw a sign that said, "Smart Style Family Hair Salon". I went in and waited about 3 or 4 minutes for the stylist to finish up a guy. She said "what can I do for you?" I said "whack it off", she looked startled which scared me and she said are you sure and I said yes! She ask how I wanted it and I looked at a pic on the wall and said, "like that"!! She cut 14 inches off and razored it and layered it and I really like it. Of course I had to buy all the products that was going to keep me in style. I ended up spending about $68....and believe it or not my man liked it. Usually men like that old long hair. It was color treated so she said I couldn't send it to "locks for tots" and I wished I could have!!!

• Lynn
    Best Answer

I'd like to see a pix of the new you. It sounds nice. And so

much cooler for what's left of summer.

The most spontaneous and also the most drastic, was when

I cut my hair a few months ago. I noticed my hair had really

thinned out and I could see my scalp. So I held up areas and

made it short on the sides to brush back,and then I started

cropping the top to about an inch and a half. I spiked it up

to make it look fuller. And I brushed it toward my ears in the

back. I had wanted it even shorter like a womans' I saw at

a specialty's clinic. Hers was shaved in back tho. And on me,

I felt that would be too extreme and too manly for me also.

Well it took about three months for it to grow in and then I

needed a salon cut. And I went to my regular woman and

she didn't say anything. But I gave her what idea I had in

mind, and yet, she didn't cut as much off the bottom as I

wanted. But the top was good. I would rather have hair left

a tad longer, than too short and want to wear something

over my head. Now my hair is thinning out again. And I

don't know what to do this time. I guess maybe wash it

more often so it won't dare lay down. Or maybe I need a wig?

• Moe

I was about 18 or 19 and I have dark brown hair. So I decided to go to a beauty school and get my hair dyed. They spent about 8 hours on it. Stripped it down and I came out a Platinum blond, They also styled it and I must say I Looked like a Hooker for a few days. But I tamed it down with a different styling. I spent about a couple of months or so with the color, but got tired of having the roots dyed. Then I dyed it back to a brown. Won't do that ever again. I've gone from brown to Auburn, not so drastic a change.

Funny you mention this. I almost did the same thing a few years ago. That's when I learned how to twist & roll my hair up in a bun. I don't think I'd like life without my hair. I once shaved the sides & colored it green & blue in the front. In those days we only had food coloring to work with & it didn't ruin you hair like todays harsher products seem to.

As for the hair not being wanted because it's color treated...that's a crock. These companies color treat the hair themselves after the wigs are assembled. They just don't like to get hair without knowing what chemicals have already been on it. trust me.....they get a lot of hair that has been altered. There's good money in hair. I hope you didn't leave it with the stylist...she'll get a pretty penney for it, guaranteed!

If you only spent $68...you got a good deal & add to it the fact that you are happy with your new cut....I could never get that in my neck of the woods. Starting price for anyone with long hair is $150 & up! Are you gonna change your avatar?

• dora

As hair became more gray, I tried vairous colors and highlights. One of them was supposed to add really light hi-lights, but came out blond all over so I wore it that way for a few years and then got some lowlights to take out the brassiness and then it all became too big a struggle so had it cut short and let it grow in gray. Now it looks sort of dark in places with white frosting. It isn't terrible and I get a good haircut so it won't look neglected and that is about it. Do buy a few more products to give it some body because I am not ready for a tight blue perm look.

I did the same in June. I went to the local hair cuttery and asked her to cut it all off. I got the same reaction from EVERYONE in the building but they eventually complied.

Had it all cut off like a boy cut. It is growing back now and in a very awkward stage. I don't want to spend a lot of time trying to style it and It's to hot for all of the products. I can't wait for it to get a bit longer do that I can have my bun/ponytails.

I'm happy that your man liked it. Everyone gave me the opposite reaction and called me Brittney Spears. My mother asked if I was having emotional issues...lol.

Plus, I have to wear long wigs to dressy occasions because it compliments the outfit better than my uneven boy cut and makes the look more fancy.

I loved it at first and it was so easy and cool but now I regret it a bit.

Source(s): Been there! My true experience and honest answer

My hair is really long again, but yes 2 times I have done the same thing. Went crazy & went short like that. I did like it! But, I am likeing it long for now. The only part that sucks is the growing it back out if & when you plan on doing it. The middle when you can't put it up & it looks bad down. It's either grow it out, or cut it backoff. Have a nice day!

• CurlyQ

My hair was so long it was down to the great divide for 10 years. Two months ago I got it cut to 1 1/2" long on top & 1/2" long in back and on sides. I love it!

How funny! I just had my hair cut from 23" down to 5" for the very same reason you did, the heat!

The only complaint my man had was that he could not find me in a crowd now.

He lost me at a gem and mineral show, he was looking for that long blond braid.

I notice my neck gets cold at night. =)

• Blank

About 30 years ago while visiting my family on the East Coast, I let my sister-in-law talk me into frosting my hair. It was awful, I turned out almost totally blonde. When I got home, my husband walked right by me at the airport. "Fred," I hollered.

He turned around, did a double take, and asked, "What the H#$%@LL happened to your head, Sweetheart?"

A few years back, I grew a beard...Don't know why, but I just did...No one in my family even mentioned it, and neither did I..They just acted like I looked the same...A month or so into the beard, I called my Mother, and said "Tomorrow is your birthday, may I pick you up and take you out to a really good breakfast?" She said," I don't know. Can you afford it? I notice you can't afford razor blades."......A clean shaved son took his mother to breakfast the next day....