Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesFord · 1 decade ago

2001 Ford Escape, loud tires?

I am purchasing a 2001 Ford Escape XLT as my first car. It's an awesome price, but when I was driving it, the tires seemed to be loud...anybody know what i am talking about? I was talking to the dealer about it and he said that because they are larger tires on the SUV compared to the car, they're going to be loud..is that true?

Best Answer

1. Escapes are just loud cars, period.

2. What does the wear on the tires look like? A little cupping or scalloping will cause some serious noise, especially in an SUV.

Size is irrelevant. The have the same amount of rubber in contact with the road no matter how tall the tires are.

But SUV tires tend to be a bit more aggressive in their tread patterns....then again, an Escape has small tires, so you can get some more "car like" tread patterns to minimize noise.

Not like anyone really goes off road with an Escape, they're not designed for it.

Your Vehicle is probably out of alignment, Causing your tires to cupped. Or you may have a Wheel bearing going bad. More aggressive the treads are on a tire, More noise you will hear. - Mechanics Helper

• jtexas

Yes.

I had the same question when test driving the first SUV I ever bought. I thought it might be a transmission whine or something so I drove 4 or 6 different trucks.

The tread pattern is l7usually the culprit. The more aggressive the tread pattern the more noise you will get.

was the type of tires many will roar on the road... which is not what they are made for ... they are made to drive in mud or offroad .. so if you change the type of tire back to what it come with i bet it wil stop making the roar

the tires are wore out. new tires will make a difference. and a good quality brand.

Your dealer is correct. You can buy some tires for it that run quieter.

um kinda, it could b the tred, my car had loud tires so we rotated them and now the noise is gone