What does "ענג", transliterated as "'anag" mean?

It's used in Psalm 37:4, "Delight thyself also in the LORD: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Obviously the KJV says it means "delight" but I was wondering if anybody knew a more in-depth meaning of it.

Thank you!

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

hope this makes sense to ya... here are several different sources on it.

ענג (v #1 (AF)): take one's pleasure in | AFAT

verb, hitpael, middle, imperative, singular, masculine, second person

BDB:

†[עָנֹג S6026, 6028 TWOT1648, 1648b GK6695, 6697, LagBN31] vb. be soft, delicate, dainty (NH id. Pi. make soft, pliable, live or spend in enjoyment; Arabic غَنِجَ (ğanija) use amorous behaviour, after languor);—Pu. Pt. f. הַמְּעֻנָּגָה Je 6:2 daintily bred, fig. of Jerusalem. Hithp.1. be of dainty habit, Inf. cstr. הִתְעַנֵּג Dt 28:56 (woman, || רֹךְ).2. take exquisite delight, Pf. 3. pl. וְהִתְעַנְּגוּ consec. ψ 37:11 (עַל) rei); 2 mpl. וְהִתְעַנַּגְתֶּם consec. Is 66:11 (מִן rei); Impf. 3 ms. יִתְעַנָּ֑ג Jb 27:10; 2 ms. תִּתְעַנַּג Is 58:14, תִּתְעַנָּ֑ג Jb 22:26 (all c. [שַׁדַּי], עַל־י׳); 3 fs. תִּתְעַנַּג Is 55:2 (ב rei); Imv. ms. הִתְעַנַּג עַל־י׳ ψ 37:4.3. c. עַל, in bad sense, make merry over, make sport of, Impf. 2 mpl. עַל־מִי תִּתְעַנָּ֑גוּ Is 57:4.

DBL Hebrew:

6695 עָנַג (˓ā∙nǎḡ): v.; ≡ Str 6026; TWOT 1648—1. LN 9.34-9.40 (pual) delicate, effeminate, formally, delightful, i.e., pertaining to feminine attributes not typical of a man, as soft and pleasing to the touch, or sensitive to be touched (Jer 6:2+); (hitp) sensitive (Dt 28:56+); 2. LN 33.406-33.411 (hitp) mock, make sport, i.e., verbally ridicule and scorn another, as an extension of exploiting the sensitivities of another through ridicule (Isa 57:4+); 3. LN 25.102-25.115 (hitp) delight, enjoy, be fond, i.e., take pleasure and enjoyment in an object, implying desirability of the object (Job 22:26; 27:10; Ps 37:4, 11; Isa 55:2; 58:14; 66:11+)

Gesenius' Hebrew-Chaldee Lexicon to the Old Testament:

עָנַג to live softly and delicately, not used in Kal. (Arab. غَنجَ to allure, to entice, used of the amorous gestures of women, in their looks, walk, etc.)

Pual, part. fem. to be soft and delicate, Jer. 6:2.

Hithpael—(1) i.q. Pual, Deut. 28:56, compare Isa. 55:2.

(2) to delight oneself, to be glad in any thing, followed by עַל Job 22:26; 27:10; Ps. 37:11; followed by מִן Isa. 66:11.

(3) Hence used in a bad sense, to deride any one, followed by עַל Isa. 57:4.

Derived nouns, תַּעֲנוּג and—

A Concise Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament:

ענג: pual: pt. מְעֻנָּגָה: pampered, spoiled Je 6:2 †

hitp.: pf. הִתְעַנַּגְתֶּם; impf. תִּתְעַנַּג, תִּתְעַנָּֽג; impv. הִתְעַנַּג; inf. הִתְעַנֵּג: — 1. pamper onesf., be fastidious: of a woman Dt 28:56; — 2. take great delight in (be, ˓al) Is 55:2; refresh onesf. w. (min) Is 66:11; — 3. make merry over (˓al) Is 57:4.

Enhanced Strong's Lexicon:

6027 עֹנֶג [`oneg /o·neg/] n m. From 6026; TWOT 1648a; GK 6696; Two occurrences; AV translates as “pleasant” once, and “delight” once. 1 exquisite delight, daintiness, delight, pleasantness.

• robb
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

JPS says "Seek the favor of the Lord".....

Artscroll reads " And rely upon Hashem"....

In the Hebrew "anag" appears as part of a longer word, probably why it doesn't seem to be in the interlinear.

Vav, Hey, Tav, Ayin, Nun, Gimel

(and)(??????) (......."anag"........)

• onelm0
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Pamper

• cheir
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Sorry, can't find that word in that verse in the Interlinear.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.