Do I need to inform every woman I'm about to kiss that I occasionally get cold sores?

I'm a single male. I got my first ever cold sore about 3 months ago. It's since cleared-up (without a re-occurrence), but I've changed my life completely because of them (taking medications, changing my diet, stopped dating COMPLETELY, have been very cautious about meeting women... I don't want to bring this into anyone's life. I don't want to put anyone through what I've been through). I'd eventually like to start dating again, but is this no longer a possibility for me? What I want to know from other people who get cold sores is this: When you're out at a bar, and you meet an attractive woman or man (and hit it off), do you act spontaneously & normally, or do you slam on the brakes & responsibly inform that person that you get cold sores from time to time, and that there's a possibility that they may get it? Do people do that? Is it a matter of simply laying low while I have a cold sore, and behaving normally when I don't? How do I live with this condition?

Thank you all for your responses. Sorry if I seemed at all freaked-out by my condition. I'm not. I'm just aware that it is highly contagious, and don't wish to pass it on to anyone. I remember what a disruption it was (and still is) to my life when I got this, and don't want anyone else to have to go through what I went through. That said, I don't want to have to be celibate, either. To be honest, it does strike me as a bit unreasonable to have to have a discussion with every woman I intend to kiss, but I just didn't know what the protocol was for this situation. I mean, if it was commonly done, then I would follow suit (in the interest of being considerate to the other person). But I want to be reasonable, too. Perhaps there's no need to OVER-disclose. I will act responsibly, and not kiss anyone while I have a cold sore (naturally), but beyond that, I think I will also change my dating habits, so I don't expose too many people the possibility of catching this from me.

Thanks again.

Favorite Answer

First of all, calm down. And no, you don't need to inform every woman you date that you get cold sores. Just don't kiss them or share drinks with them when you have an outbreak. This is a very common virus that MANY people have, so don't worry about it. Just take a few precautions like I said above and everything will be OK. By the way, the more you get upset about it, the more outbreaks you may have. Stress will aggrivate it more. So chill;)

I am gobsmacked at the amount of uneducated people on this site. How the hell does cold sores mean someone is cheating? Omg, All it means is that at some point in her life,possibly even as a child(many contract this early on) she was exposed to HSV(herpes simplex virus 1. HSV2 is the sexually transmitted one.) when someone comes in contact with the virus it lives in the nape of the neck. It is a neurological. It may never ever show symptoms or it may periodical cause breakouts. These breakouts can be few and far between or regular It can also lay dormant for YEARs before one ever even realizes they had it. while the severity and regularity of the breakouts is unpredictable and varies from person to person. Events like the body getting sick or run down, stress etc All can influence the virus and trigger an out break. But while those things may trigger outbreaks Or more severe, or more regular outbreaks. They can occur at any time just because. There is no cure but there is creams that can aide her. When she feels a tingle it is a symptom that an outbreak is about to occur. That is the time to treat. Placing Ice on the tingling area for a decent amount of time will also help prevent the blister from forming. It doesn't mean her husband cheated. I am Still really shocked at the ignorance of many people

Beleive it or not, over 90% of the population are carriers of HSV 1, they just have never presented any symptoms. HSV is VERY contagious, so if you have a cold sore present do not kiss anyone or touch the sore b/c it can spread the disease. Other than that you're good. Hope this helps. Good Luck!!!!

90% of the population have herpes cold sores..

50 million people in the U.S. have genital herpes..

believe me, its more common than you think.. dont let stupid people make u feel down for having this virus. i got the virus when i was a child.. hell i was not promiscious of course, so i know where I stand.. most people dont even know they have cold sores or genital herpes.. those people who talk shyt about it, are usually the ones who have it and just dont have outbreaks.. i knew a girl who talked mad crap about people with herpes although i have the cold sores herpes.. well, she was a carrier of genital herpes..and she shut her pie hole up when she found out... SHE NEVER KNEW SHE HAD IT.. SHE SLEPT WITH LIKE 5 MEN WHO WERE HER BOYFRIENDS. so yeah, its very common than you think! like i said, all the ones who talk shyt, usually are the carriers of the virus and don't know it..

Source(s): i have herpes type 1 cold sores. had it since i was a kid

dawg just tell her but cold sores arent contagious r they?

idk but idk it all depends on ur morals and wat u feel is right or wrong