Big YA Read. What is the YA Community’s favourite book?

YA Big Read: pick your favourite novel, it can be any published work of fiction that has NOT already been advocated by another answerer. Write an answer explaining what the book is about, why it is your favourite book and why others should read it.

If it works, I’ll let the question run out and go to a vote, if I get 30 responses all advocating the same book, I’ll pick an answer that isn’t that book. Simple. I’ll put forward my own suggestion in additional details.

Come on YA B&A: what’s your favourite book?

Kiki: what do you like about it, why is it your favourite?

Best Answer

I love the book "Love in the Time of Cholera" by Gabriel García Márquez.

Summary:

In their youth, Florentino Ariza and Fermino Daza fall passionately in love. When Fermina eventually chooses to marry a wealthy, well-born doctor, Florentino is devastated, but he is a romantic. As he rises in his business career he whiles away the years in 622 affairs--yet he reserves his heart for Fermina. Her husband dies at last, and Florentino purposefully attends the funeral. Fifty years, nine months, and four days after he first declared his love for Fermina, he will do so again.

Why I Live It:

It is a beautiful love story, written in a not-so-traditional way. The duration and purity of Florentino's love for Fermina is amazing, and heartbreaking.

Why Others Should Read It:

It is so well written, and it is appropriate for men or women to read. It is not your typical gushy romance that a guy would not like. There is a whole lot more going on in the story.

Source(s): Summary taken from: www.goodreads.com

The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux

Because for all that Erik was insane, a murderer, and basically hates everyone, he could have been different. He could have been a great person, if someone had shown him the least bit of love. It's the world that made him who he is by refusing to accept him. I see him as someone who, like everyone, need love, except he never got it.

What makes it even more beautiful is that Christine is the first person to show him any caring at all. Some people say she did it because she had to, and they're partly right. Christine DID have to choose Erik--it was either that or get blown up along with half the city. But Christine did more than choose him. She let him kiss her. She cried for him. She realized why he was the way he was. And when Christine did that, the wonderful thing, the thing that makes me cry, is that Erik realized that after she did so much for him, he couldn't keep her with him, where she couldn't truly be happy no matter how hard she tried. He'd never had any qualms about being selfish before, but now, he'd learned unselfish love. Christine was the most happiness he'd ever had in his entire life, and he let her go.

And I'm not one of those Phangirls who thinks he was "just misunderstood" either. I get that he was insane and a murderer. He honestly creeps me out, which I like for a book to do.

The story is mysterious, and the writing is good.

♥/\/\♥

My Favorite Books. These aren't just books I can think of I promise. I sincerely think of these every day, and they've really impacted me and my life. A lot. The Five People You Meet in Heaven – Mitch Albom This book is so incredible. It really gives an example of how everything happens for a reason, and how much you can inspire someone or how much someone can inspire you. It's just incredible. Favorite book ever. The Book of Joe – Jonothan Tropper Another touching story. So sad, so funny, you'll be crying from laughter at some parts, and really legitly crying at others. Everyone can relate to the characters in this book. It's absolutely amazing. Second favorite book =) The Time Traveler’s Wife – Audrey Niffenegger You might have seen the movie, which was terrible compared to the book. A bit more aimed towards adults, but amazing all the same. Mr. Murder – Dean Koontz A murder/sci-fi/mystery/thriller crazy thing. But it's incredibly intriguing and wonderful. I finished it in a day, it's so suspensful. Angels and Demons – Dan Brown The Da Vinci Code – Dan Brown The Lost Symbol – Dan Brown Probably heard of these, too. The Angels and Demons movie was SO BAD. Da Vinci Code was good, though. But the books are so goooood. Candy – Keven Brooks About prostitution and drugs. Very very very good. You'd love it. Just Listen – Sarah Dessen A Speak type of novel thing. All about a girl finding not who she is, which is a bit cliche, but more like, who she wants to be. Super cute. =) The Last Song – Nicholas Sparks Movie was okay, but it didn't make me cry like the book did. Plus I don't like Miley Cyrus. Speak – Laurie Halse Anderson I'm sure you've read this. Thirteen Reasons Why – Jay Asher About a girl who committed suicide and then a set of tapes was sent along to 13 people who were accused of being one of the 13 reasons that she killed herself. Point of view by a boy who was madly in love with her, and recieves these tapes. Incredible. Kiss Me Kill Me – Lauren Henderson A girl goes to a party and, upon kissing her crush, he dies of an alergic reaction. Crazy crazy. There's a sequel too. Face on the Milk Carton – Caroline B. Cooney Kind of juvenile, I read it in like 6th grade, but it's so good. The rest of the series is alright. Crank – Ellen Hopkins Written in verse, about a girl who becomes addicted to "the monster". Crystal meth. The Glass Castle – Jeannette Walls A memoir about a really truly messed up family. A lot of lessons to be learned here. His Dark Materials – Philip Pullman You know, A Golden Compass, etc? So so good and insightful. <3

A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray. This book is really good, its the first in a trilogy. The main character Gemma Doyle is a sixteen year old English girl that lives in India. This book is set in the Victorian era (1895). After the mysterious death of her mother, her family moves to London, where Gemma is sent to a ladies boarding school, called Spence. She makes friends with some girls there and has strange visions. She is being warned by and Indian boy that has been following her to stop having visions. Gemma ignores him and enters the magical world of the realms with her friends, and learns that her mother was a part of a group of sorceresses called the Order. This book has a lot of themes intertwined : fantasy, history, romance, and suspense. This book is a must read as well as the others in the trilogy.

My favorite series is the "His Dark Materials" trilogy by Philip Pullman. I can give you 101 reasons why I love the series, but I will only give you my top three:

1.) Pullman is a genius. He captured my interest with his words. His words are like the Proverbs to me. He used very creative and descriptive words that will make you imagine the scenery just how we was viewing it.

2.) Being a Catholic myself, I was amazed by how Pullman gave the readers a challenge to test their faith. The story of Metatron and the Angels made me realize that there is more to religion than meets the eye - and it really did test my faith. Very similar after reading Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code, I finished the novel by having a stronger faith rather than losing it.

3.) I find Will Parry and the Subtle Knife interesting. Will Parry's character is very similar to my own character - the strong features, aloof personality, and a lot more. He is my favorite character in the series. Also, he loves his mother so much - the same thing I do. The Subtle Knife is my favorite material next to the alethiometer. I find the idea of the parallel worlds interesting, so as the idea of creating the "bridges" to cross them by using the Knife.

The Stand by Stephen King - About a man made super flu which escapes the lab and kills 98% of the population. I think this kind of 'accident' is out there waiting to happen. I love this book and have read it nearly every year since it came out.

• "War and Peace" by Leo Tolstoy. It revolves around two noble Russian families, the Rostovs and the Bolkonskys, during the Napoleonic invasion, but branches out to touch on the lives of dozens of other characters, including Napoleon himself.

There is perhaps no other writer who so accurately captures the complexity of the human condition and the nuances of human psychology.

I'm guessing most people are going to say a book from the Twilight Series.. :P

Mine is Eclipse, the third book in the saga.

I'll probably get thumbs down for this. But oh well. I have my opinion and you have yours. [:

Edit: My reason-

I love the way it was written. The way SM writes keeps my attention, which is usually pretty hard. :P

When I read it, I feel how the characters feel and I can picture what's going on in the book in my mind.

I love her characters; they're easy to relate to, even if they're not human.

And of course, Bella is extremely easy to relate too; she's just so normal..

Then there's Edward. I love the way he thinks, acts, etc. [I don't love him because he's "hot".]

I think SM did a great job creating the characters for this series.

Overall, I think this series is great, especially Eclipse.

It's filled with romance, but also has action and suspense to keep you wanting to read more.

Well, youll get alot of twilight,so i wont do that. Mine will be Scrambled Eggs at Midnight by Brad Barkley and Heather Hepler.

It is about a girl and boy who both live crazy lives.Calliope, the girl, lives with her mom, always moving,usually to faires to sell her jewlery. In one move, she meets a boy(mentioned above) Named elliot.His father is a big, hot-shot seller for his christian diet supplies and his "fat camp".

Elliot and Cal fall in love.

It is a little known book, but very good.

• The Chosen by Chaim Potok - - it really made me think.

It is the story of two boys, Reuven Malter, a Modern Orthodox Jew, and Danny Saunders, the brilliant young son of a Hasidic rabbi, who become friends. The father, Reb Saunders, expects his son to succeed him as a rabbi and the leader of their Hasidic sect, yet Danny wants to study psychology, a secular field of study.

:o)