What does the phrase, "Sock it to me" mean?

I know it's from Aretha Franklin's song and I also read that it's from a British comedy. But I don't quite understand its meaning.

Thanks.

Favorite Answer

It means 'let me have it!' in a metaphorical sense.

It dates from some time around the 1850s and the earliest example in print that's been discovered so far is from a book published in 1866 about the American Civil War including the following quote:

"Now then, tell General Emory if they attack him again to go after them, and to follow them up, and to sock it to them, and to give them the devil".

It was well known on the TV show. It was said by Judy Carne in 'Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In'.

The Bible has had it right for millenniums. “A live dog is better off than a dead lion. For the living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all, neither do they anymore have wages, because the remembrance of them has been forgotten.” (Ecclesiastes 9:4, 5) Does that mean there is absolutely no hope for the dead? Jesus Christ preach about resurrection to life on a restored paradise earth. His Jewish follower Martha, whose brother, Lazarus, had just died, believed in the resurrection, for she said of Lazarus: “I know he will rise in the resurrection on the last day.” (John 11:24) To this, Jesus answered: “I am the resurrection and the life. He that exercises faith in me, even though he dies, will come to life; and everyone that is living and exercises faith in me will never die at all. Do you believe this?” (John 11:25, 26) Earlier, he had said: “Do not marvel at this, because the hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear his voice and come out, those who did good things to a resurrection of life, those who practiced vile things to a resurrection of judgment.” John 5:28, 29; Luke 23:43. As you can see there will be a resurrection of both the righteous. and the unrighteous. Please do further research in you Bible to get a better understanding.

It goes back to the sixties, when Rowan and Martin's 'Laugh In' popularized the phrase. It just means 'let me have it' and usually referred to the punch line of a joke, but on Laugh In, Goldy Hawn got 'socked' quite literally, every time she used the phrase - she was bombarded with custard pies, feathers, water pistols - you name it. It was one of the running gags on the show.

It was a comic catch phrase from "Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In", a hugely popular American TV comedy-variety show that debuted in 1967. A contemporary equivalent would be something along the lines of "bring it on".

OK I am from that era it became popular with laugh in which stared great comedians like Goldie Han and Ruth buzzy anyway it meant give it to me straight up and could be used as a phrase like "hey baby tell me how you feel sock it to me " or in a randy manner "I like your body baby sock it to me" and yes it was originally British and because everyone wanted to be British or black in America it caught on here

This might answer your question. Good luck! http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=soc...

it's something you hear mechanics say:

'can you pass the sock it to me?'

Source(s): happy pills
  • J.S.

"sock" here means hit

So it's like saying, let me have it, bring it on...

gimme! i can take it!