Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Hello everyone, i took my cat who was only 14 months old to thr rspca animal hospital in london uk to investig

-ate his rapid breathing, i was expecting perhaps asthma or bronchitis but it was a cancerous tumour which they said was absolutely huge and was right in front of his heart and pressing on his lungs they kept him in an oxygen kennel but they said that when he was taken out of it and monitored by a vet within an hour he was breathing with his mouth open. they said it was almost certainly inoperable that he could have been referred to a speclist hospital who would want £3500-£5000 if he would be a candidate for chemo therapy, they said the specialist hospital would want 50 percent of the money up front, and would not accept a payment plan. i didn't have pet insurance as i halways intended taking it out when my 2 cats who r brothers got a bit older and i don't have 1 penny saved, the vet said that if she won the lottery she wouldn't put him through further invasive bcoz it's against animal welfare i had him put to sleep and buried him 2day, i can't help wondering did i do the right thing?

Best Answer

yes totally! i would have done the same, its a hard decision to make but why prolong his suffering when he probably would never have recovered. i have seen the effects of chemo on adults and seen healthy fit men reduced to a shell, why do that to a cat who doesnt understand whats going on!

dont beat yourself up, he has gone to a better place and is no longer suffering...you so did the right thing!

i know its heartbreaking, but at least he is at peace!

I have had to do the same thing but just with a different type of pet. I had a hairless rat and she had a large growth underneath her skin for a small amount of time. I took her to my vet and he said that it was cancer. He told me I could take her home an make her comfortable, but I decided after a long time of crying to put her down. I wondered if it was a good idea when I did it until he came out and said that he found 8 others after he put her down. I definitely did not want her to suffer because of my selfishness and if I would have kept her around that would have only made her worst. I think you did the right thing, you wouldn't have wanted him to suffer, we all know that you didn't put him down because you didn't want to deal with it, you did it because you cared that he didn't suffer and had hope that he would go peacefully. Sorry that that happened to you. :(

• Becks

I am so sorry for your loss. Even if I had that amount of money I wouldn't have a pet go through chemotherapy. It would be very poorly from it.

You made the right decision. I can sympathise with you because in January we had to have our dog euthanised due to a brain tumour so I know how you are feeling.

God bless you for taking the decision that you did.

Sorry for your loss, but Yes ,I think that you did the right thing. What quality of life would he have had - chemo is dreadful for humans who can moan and complain - it would be horrible for a cat who cannot tell you how he feels. My 17 years old cat developed a similar tumour and as much as I missed her, i didn't regret the decision to put her out of her misery.

Of course you did the right thing. Your poor cat was in pain and even with chemo would probably not have got any better. All it might have done is prolonged his life for a short time. It must be hard for you, but be glad he isn't suffering anymore.

There is no perfect answer to your question but I can tell you that if it had been my cat, I would have had him put gently to sleep rather than to have to suffer as he was before, and knowing that it would only get worse. A very difficult decision to have had to make but IMHO, you did the right thing. You must be very sad and somewhat conflicted over it all but please realize that your cat is no longer suffering and that has to count for something. I know you are probably grieving too - just know that I am one person who thinks you did the right thing for your poor kitty.

I'm sorry for your loss, but I agree with Blondie about considering the quality of life. You did the right thing. I know how hard it has been on you since I had to make the same decision once.

Yes hunny you have done the right thing. It wouldnt have been fair to have put him through all the treatment (even if you had the money or insurance).

I am sorry for your loss but you did what was best for him xx

• you did the right thing because if you did the surgery thingy then he might be in pane you put him to a beter place where he can breth freelyand will not have any pane anymore your cat is watching you as a garden angel

Source(s): i had my dog put to sleep

Yes, baby, you did exactly the right thing.

Believe me, I know what the pain's like. We have several of our babies buried in our garden (from over the years), and each time one passes, it never gets any easier.

I'm sure your baby will be waiting for you to be reunited one day.

Bless you.