Anonymous

Light-skinned blacks v. mixed race blacks?

How come some Black americans say "I'm not mixed, I'm just light-skinned." I heard that statistically 80% of blacks are to some extent racially mixed. What's the difference between being light-skinned and mixed?

-Tyra Banks, Beyonce Knowles, Keisha Cole are light-skinned blacks but they look like they are just as mixed as Halle Berry, Jordan Sparks, and Leona Lewis

Favorite Answer

I don't know if you need glasses or not but Tyra, Beyonce, and especially Keisha Cole do not look like they are mixed or as mixed as Halle Berry, Jordan Sparks etc....Black people say this because mixed usually means you're half and half of two different races which they're not. Most black people are mixed with different things in their ancestry but they don't always come out looking like Tyra. It depends on what genes decide to show up. Prime example is Tyra's brother. He has dark skin.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

-Tyra Banks, Beyonce Knowles, Keisha Cole are light-skinned...

Source(s): light skinned blacks mixed race blacks: https://shortly.im/uSJIs

As said previously practically all blacks in are America are mixed. Mixed does not necessarily mean 50/50. I am light skinned and mixed and I am not 50/50. I identify as black and most black people recognize me as being black. Other ethnicities almost always want to consider me anything but black. I call myself black as opposed to African American because to me AA implies that I have cultural ties to Africa, which I clearly do not have. I do not deny my African ancestry, I embrace it, but I am comfortable being black.

• priore

Keyshia Cole Ethnicity

They are completely 2 different things . Being "mixed race" means your father and mother are from 2 different races . Being "light- skinned" means your parents are both from the race , but you appear the same or lighter as they are , or "light skinned"

first off being Light skinned and being mixed are two different thing that have nothing to do with each other. Being mixed means that you have came from two different types of ethnic backgrounds. Being light skinned means that you have a light tone to your body not completely white but of light color. If you can bring me one person in this world that is not multi racial then I will give you a hundered dollars.

On the topic of what i think that you are talking about is.... Alot of African- American people who say that they are light skinned and are really mixed is because I think they are asamed of what they come from. At least the non black side. Now a days it is not cool to be part of the white culture and a black person of all people does not want to admitt to being any part of the white culture. Hope that helps.

if your not light skin or black which i am you shouldn t have an answer to this at all some of you are right and some of you are wrong, just gonna say that.

Beyonce is mixed, lol. 75% Black and 25% white.

Well I'm light-skinned, despite the way my avatar looks, and both of my parents are black and darker than me. I have brothers and sisters and we're not all the same shade. I have one sister who is dark-skinned, two siblings who are brown and me and my big brother have light skin. And yes, we all come from the same two parents btw lol. So it all has to do with genes. I know we're mixed with white, and Indian in the distant past but I wouldn't call myself mixed because when I think of a person being mixed, I think of someone who is biracial. Most black people are mixed with other things but it usually dates way back in their family history. It just shows up in our skin color sometimes.

Rita Ora, Alicia Keys, Faith Evans and Vanessa Williams look mixed. Halle Berry doesn't lool biracial. I only know she's mixed because she said so. She looks like what ever Beyonce, Tyra Banks, Rihanna, or Aaliyah is. A funny thing is Halle Berry also refers to herself as Black as they do. She even ranges in their skin tone complexion versus the other set obviously looking mixed chicks I mentioned.