Can I put my betta fish in boiled water because it is more germ-free?

the boiled water is of course, not boiling.. its just luke-warm because i read that betta fish like warm water... i just want it to be in healthy shape and the water that comes out my tap isn't really clean...

Best Answer

Not only is boiled water entirely devoid of oxygen (though this is less important for Bettas as they breath air), but it is also lacking in essential minerals that the fish need for respiration, osmotic function, and virtually every other aspect of their life. Also, while the water may be lukewarm immediately after cooling it will continue to cool until it reaches room temperature, and when that happens, you will have just put your fish through an unreasonable amount of stress, as temperature fluctuations can be fatal. The 2.5 gallon heated, filtered tank suggested by the above user is a MUCH better, safer, healthier idea.

Here is the ideal set up for a Betta-

a tank - 2.5 gallons or larger

a heater - to keep the water temp between 76-82 degrees

a gentle filter to keep the water healthier

Each week you should remove 10-15% of the tank water and replace it with tap water that is approximately the same temp as your tank water. The tap water needs to be treated with a dechlorinator/conditioner. This will remove chlorine, chloramines and other heavy metals. Boiling or letting water sit for 24 hours will not remove the chloramines or the heavy metals, this has to be done chemically.

This will give your betta the best chance for a healthy, long life.

R U CRAZZYYY?!?! DO NOT boil the water. All the oxygen will leave and ur fish will suffocate! Just let the water sit for 24 hours and n e harmful chemicals will burn off

Hope i helped and good luck:]]

• JC

yours is in a bowl so obviously you will have to match the temperatures of the old and new water...treating water by boiling is not wrong...when I have a water change for my betta in his 5 gallon tank I always top the tank with a dash of boiled warm water...I think it helps the betta...you would be able to do that more efficiently if you have a bigger tank..good thinking though..

by warm water they meant fixed heater in the tank that keeps the water warm 24X7. if u warm the water it anyways is going to cool very soon. so there is no point.

Check the temperature...my betas tend to like their water around 78 degrees. If you don't have a heater, I would recommend getting one, it can significantly extend the life of your beta.

You can put it in luke-warm water. absolutely not boiling water though, the fish will cook!

u could but the water is just goin to get dirty again u should get a filter 4 it