Why do people say "Spanish" when they really mean "Hispanic" or "Latino"?

I find that often when a person is referring to someone who speaks Spanish or from a Spanish-speaking country, they refer to them as "Spanish". Being "Spanish" means you come from Spain. I am a native English speaker, but I do not consider myself "English", nor do I have any English... show more I find that often when a person is referring to someone who speaks Spanish or from a Spanish-speaking country, they refer to them as "Spanish". Being "Spanish" means you come from Spain. I am a native English speaker, but I do not consider myself "English", nor do I have any English heritage...
Update: ...I have heard it from Hispanic/Latino people refer to themselves as "Spanish"... these are probably the same people who when they find out I am Hispanic say to me, "But you are white." ...last time I checked, most people from Spain are "white"...
Update 2: To Tina54's point: "Most of the country's that are Spanish speaking where colonized by the Spaniard's,therefore alot of us have Spaniard blood in us, plus we speak Spanish, it may not be the original Spanish from Spain , but it is derived from it." True, but people most people from... show more To Tina54's point: "Most of the country's that are Spanish speaking where colonized by the Spaniard's,therefore alot of us have Spaniard blood in us, plus we speak Spanish, it may not be the original Spanish from Spain , but it is derived from it."

True, but people most people from Australia are descendants from people from England, yet do not consider themselves "English". People from Brazil do not consider themselves "Portuguese"... So why is "Spanish" different? Oh, and by the way, the French-speaking peoples of Canada will be quick to point out to you that they are Canadian-French...
Update 3: Also, if most Hispanic people have "Spanish blood", why do they call me "white"? People from Spain are caucasian.
Update 4: Thank you all for your input into this. Your answers are great!!!