Jim
Jim asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsDiabetes · 1 decade ago

Diabetics, do you eat high-fat ground beef?

I want your personal stories only ... please don't bother giving me answers from textbooks, doctors, or websites.

Some diabetic experts strongly warn again high-fat diets for diabetics. Some others recommend low-carb diets, with plenty of fat and protein.

If you are diabetic and you have tried a high-fat, low-carb diet, what has been your personal experience? Did it lower your blood sugar and improve your diabetic control, or did it cause health problems?

Again, if you don't have personal experience (or experience of someone you know), please don't bother responding. Thanks.

Favorite Answer

My son has Type 1 and we have always been more concerned with the carbs because of the effect on his blood glucose readings. When his sugars are high and he can't eat carbs he will eat meats and cheeses which are high in fat but don't raise the blood glucose levels. I do know that as he gets older the fat content will have to be something he watches out for because with naturally high blood glucose levels you tend to have more sticky plaque to clog the arteries. It is also my understanding that some people with Type 2 are ketosis prone and if that's the case should never go on the low carb diets.

1

Source(s): 30 Days Diabetes Cure : http://diabetesgofar.com/?aAdQ

My endocrinologist said that the high-fat warning was because many type 2 diabetics are trying to lose weight, and high-fat proteins will just plain have more calories, making weight loss more difficult. If your weight is not an issue, it's not as crucial to avoid high-fat means.

HOWEVER, this is my own personal endocrinologist who knows me and my situation. I have very low cholesterol, something that runs in my family, which is unusual for many type 2 diabetics.

I have found through experimentation over the past 11 years is that what works best for me is a low-glycemic diet. Low-glycemic is not low-carb. I do okay on low carb diets but apparently my pancreas needs some carbs to stimulate the production of what insulin I have, because I do better when I have carbs and protein together than if I have straight protein. So I have whole-grain, high fiber, complex carbs with plenty of protein and vegetables.

I know this isn't exactly what you asked but this is my experience, and what has worked best for me.

Source(s): Type 2 Diabetic for 11 years, and my HbA1C was 5.3 at my last blood draw.
  • A F

One of our closest friends has done the low carb routine for yrs including Atkins theory of fat being very ok. The result is that she still insulin dependent, has many diabetic complications including a yr or more to heal leg injury and a progressive inability to tolerate solid foods.

My husband experimented with the low carb high protine all the fat you want diet when he was first diagnosed with diabetes and found his blood sugars went from high to crash (what is called brittle diabetes). Later he began a low glycemic eating plan. (high complex carb low fa some but nly moderate animal protein t) His insulin need has dropped. His chronic and supposedly diabetic related leg rash is gone w/o further med. For him there is far greater control, fewer highs and a lot fewer dangerous lows this way than on the high protein high fat eating plan.

Some say carbs are the diabetic's enemy but all food eventually metabolizes into a sugar if the body is to utilize it at all. Simple carbs do metablize too fast therefore leading to highs and lows unless balenced. The high fat deal raised his cholestoral and the lower fat higher fiber is helping.

Obviously each person is uniquebut we knowseveral diabetics who have felt they did better on more fiber and complex carbs than on high protein fat

You may want to read The Good Calorie Diet by Phillip Lipetz there is a fair and sensible presentation of why blood glucose levels go as they do and why certain things effect them as they do,

Source(s): Hubby diabetic since 87

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

If you are diabetic and you have...

Source(s): diabetics eat high fat ground beef: https://tinyurl.im/FyXbr

yes i have tryed it and it dont work go for the carbs everytime potatoes every meal i say

yup, i eat everything