Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Riddle me this. There is a North and South America consisting of many countries. Why is it that United States.

citizens are the only people known as Americans? What happens when the North American Union forms? Will Canadians be Americans? Will we become Mexicans? What's up with us Americans? Why are we abdicating the authority of our own sovereignty?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Good question! I dont have a clue! Canada doesn't refer themselves to as North Americans, not sure about Mexico because they want this country for themselves, and people who are refered to as central americans arent even close to our boarders. its the story of then there was one! we who live on the boarder states see and speak out what we are seing 1st hand but the rest the nation say's "it's they're problem, I'm ok" but its a cancer and its not being treated. its being pushed under the carpet by all of washington right now and its forgoten while the boarder stays un protected and thousands enter every day! but one more point not ALL are Hispanic as reported by the boarder patrol. many are middle eastern and who knows what that is about.I SURE HOPE SOME OF YOU WILL READ THIS AND THINK ABOUT WHAT I HAVE SAID!!!

• 1 decade ago

The offician name of Canada is the Republic of Canada, so the people call themselves Canadians; the official name of Mexico is Estados Unidos Mexicanos (the United Mexican States), so the people call themselves Mexicans; and the official name of Ecuador is La Republica del Ecuador (the Republic of Ecuador), so the people call themselves Ecuadorians. Etc. We are the United States of America, so we call ourselves Americans -- and so does everyone else.

No other country in this hemisphere calls itself "...of America," so we have not appropriated the name for our exclusive use. Go to Latin America and you will be called "Americano," or "Gringo."

This "American" crap is thrown around by some of our liberal nut cases to make it look like we think we are the only nation that counts. That is just pure BS. If it wasn't, why would all of our neighbors call us Americans?

• 1 decade ago

That's an interesting question. After all, Canadians, Mexicans, Argentinians, and Brazilians are also "Americans". Actually, one word in Spanish for American is "americano", but it's now becoming more common to hear "estadounidense", or United Statesian. I think we should be labeled according to our country of origin, much the same way the New Zealanders are.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

When I was in my teens I could not understand why that had never happened. In truth the Manifest Destiny folks in the 19th century proposed it. Unfortunately the only way it would happen is the way we took over the Western half of the US, kill off the current owners and move in our own settlers. If it makes enough sense economically for all concerned you might eventually see some sort of stronger economic ties between the US, Canada and Mexico - common currency and such, but that is about it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

What I want to know is where did the Latin Americans come from? And do they speak Latin?

I can find North America, Central America, South America, and Canada. I can't find no Latin America. Do I need a new and improved map?

• 1 decade ago

North America and South America are continents

United States of *America* is a country - hence Americans.

Completely inane.

• 1 decade ago

There will not be a North American union.

• 1 decade ago

Well, when you get right down to it, it's no different than referring to people who reside in Europe as Europeans. Have lived in Europe for a number of years, they do refer to us as Americans.

• 1 decade ago

I doubt any such thing happens. The NRA has helped guarantee the politicians who might of this will not do it.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

there will be war.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.