O ring vs. X ring drive chains?

what is the difference between O ring and X ring chains for motorcycles? and which one is better? and which would you choose?

Favorite Answer

X ring has a a flat profile to the O-ring, which gives it a greater contact area, thus it stays cleaner (grit is death to chains) and lasts longer than the other types of chain. Interior grit not only ruins the chain quicker it also wears the sprocket more.

(You should replace the sprockets, each time you replace the chain anyway.)

O ring doesn't last any longer than a normal unsealed chain. (an ordinary chain may cost $28, while an o-ring chain costs $35, and the XO-ring Chain is more than $100, designed to fit the same motorcycle.

So, I would not waste my money on an O ring chain. My motorcycle has an extended life for its chains, since it has an automatic transmission, and is usually shifted up or down (only ONCE for each trip through the gears), at relative low speeds.

So, I'd go for the ordinary chain myself.

The web site below has some rather amazing facts about chain. They suggest an RK KS Series Performance Heavy-Duty Chain. which is a very plains chain, it doesn't com anodized gold and with red and green o-rings, it is just a chain. Not a work of art.

PJ1 was the original chain grease, and it is still better than the copy cats.

• 51

Its the cross section of the O ring or the X ring

the X ring will have two sealing points as compared to the one on the O ring

get the x ring and remember your new chain is lubed for life inside the x rings so you don't need a half can on chain wax to lube your chain

x-ring has multiple sealing points and is supposed to have less friction on the chain.

I would go with a good quality x-ring chain.

• stevo

x ring