Are there modern military planes that look like they are from ww2, or do they still fly ww2 military planes?

I live in rural Iowa and for the last year I have noticed a style of airplane that I have never EVER seen before. The plane is small, flys relatively low to the ground, the wings are set in the front center of the body (not jutting out of the underside like a few of the old planes I have seen pictures of) and it... show more I live in rural Iowa and for the last year I have noticed a style of airplane that I have never EVER seen before. The plane is small, flys relatively low to the ground, the wings are set in the front center of the body (not jutting out of the underside like a few of the old planes I have seen pictures of) and it has a rounded or domed top. The tail is fairly flat with only a small part of it sticking up in between the back two fins and the plane its self is very streamlined and straight. It is not a commercial plane and it looks nothing like any modern planes I have seen. I've seen these planes fly solo or in formations with up to 5 planes. They are very loud and almost sound like a helicopter, I can't tell but I believe there might be propellers off of the wings. Does anybody know of any kinds of planes that still fly that could look like that? Or why something like that would be flying over nowhere'sville Iowa???
Update: I looked up the Osprey, and the planes I've seen are much much smaller, and are not as modern looking.

This is the closets thing I can find to what it looks like. I'm not saying it's exactly it, just that it resembles this pic.
http://www.iapa.be/images/reports/CAF050023_.jpg
Update 2: We just had 2 more fly by that looked way different then the ones this morning. They were flying so close wing to wing my fiance thought they were almost touching. I have a feeling they are practicing formations.