Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What does a spoiler in the back of the car do?

Do I really need a spoiler on my car? Besides the fact that some cars (not all, I'm afraid) look nicer with a spoiler, what does it really do and does it work? Is it worth paying extra to have one on my car?

Favorite Answer

not a thing

unless it's huge and your going 100 miles and hour.

Source(s): ,,^._.^,,
  • bret

Spoiler On Cars

On a street car a spoiler does absolutely nothing but sit there and look good ( in some cases! ). Racing teams spend a lot of time and money designing and developing spoilers for race cars in wind tunnels that help increase down force on the road to give better traction for acceleration and turning. At the higher speeds experienced on a race track a spoiler can and does provide a benefit, but it has to be properly designed for the specific application. But on a street vehicle, even when buddy puts the great big honkin' spoiler on the back of his neon, it's doing very little! It's probably creating more drag and slowing him down rather than speeding him up! If a car comes with a factory spoiler...fine, but I sure wouldn't waste my time or money on putting one on a car after the fact.

Source(s): I'm a licenced mechanic (25 years)

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): spoiler car do: https://tr.im/IH0Z2

Spoilers are there simply for looks, to make the car look like it's a high-speed racer.

Most spoilers are not even designed correctly for real high-speed performance. They wouldn't work correctly even if the car were driven 175-200 mph. In fact, they would create additional drag and slow the car down.

• Otto

They are more of a cosmetic item now days. The actual intent was to help keep a car planted more firmly on the road at speed. This is why racing vehicles still employ spoilers.

A rear spoiler is designed to change the flow of air over the rear of the vehicle. This change in air flow increases downforce on the rear of the vehicle to help improve traction in an effort to prevent sliding while cornering.

The effectiveness of the spoiler depends on the angle or the wing portion and the speed of the vehicle.

In general, the spoilers that are available through the manufacturers as "optional accessories" or "standard accessories" are cosmetic in nature only.

Source(s): Aerodynamics 101

What Is A Rear Spoiler

Personally unless you drive your car a lot on the highway which will get you better efficiency or you race your car or it is a sporty car and a spoiler would look good on it i would not get it

A spoiler provides down pressure at high speeds to keep auto from floating and stay manageable while driving

On most street cars it's an ornament...

On racing cars it holds the rear end down At high speed, something you don't need on the street.