Rap Point of View From Rock Fans?

If you were allowed to only listen to ONE album for the rest of your life and it had to be rap what would it be? You can't pick a rap/rock band either. Has to be a straight up MC/Rapper (nas, jay-z ect.)

As a rap listener I am just curious what you guys say.

And please do not say 'nothing' or 'i'd rather have silence.' I am asking an easy question. Pick an album.

Dylan & Twigs: If you couldn't give an answer you should've not answered. If it was you guys coming into the Rap/Hip Hop section I would've given an answer.

Thanks to the rest of you.

Zachary: Chronic 2001 you mean??

Zachary: Unless you mean the Suge Knight compilation Chronic 2000

Yeah Fort Minor is a rapper.

And you don't have to like Rap, I don't listen to Rock, but I still have some artists that I like.

Rock album i'd choose would be:

Stadium Arcadium - RHCP

Californiacation - RHCP

Favorite Answer

This is difficult. Only being able to listen to one album for your entire life, regardless of the genre, is certainly not my cup of tea.

-

I'll go with...

A Tribe Called Quest ; People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm

or

2pac ; All Eyez on Me

I would say Immortal Technique's Revolutionary Vol. 1 but I would get annoyed if I could only listen to it and nothing else. There's only so much of him that one can take.

I dislike country, but I won't hate on it. With Pop and Rap, I will. It doesn't take much talent or anything beyond that of computer beats for the most part. Even with real instruments, I still cannot say I'm fond of the sound or how it is played. The mainstream stuff is horrible, and really destroys the minds of the kids who listen to it, but I still find that the stuff that isn't mainstream is much different, atleast in sound. While lyrics can change, it still sounds alike, and I dislike the sound. I can listen to Jazz, Classical, Rock, Metal, Punk, Folk, Neofolk all day, but pop and rap are intolerable, and just flat out annoying. But you are also a huge hypocrite, as you later go on to bash rock, and say rather very biased and untrue statements. "Then there are artists such as Death Grips that are doing things that have never been done before. How many rock bands currently out there can say that?" What is that even suppose to mean? Go listen to Intronaut, and tell me that band isn't offering any new sounds. Or how about Skullflower? I've never heard anything quite like that, either. If you like them, fine. But that doesn't change the fact that most the hate to it is well deserved.

• Deke

I don't know if such an album exists, but it would be a compilation album of old school rap (which, to me, means "pre-gangsta"). Digital Underground, Warren G, Public Enemy, Arrested Development, and nearly any rap hit from the 1980s.

Rap used to be fun music when it was Young MC, MC Hammer, Tone Loc, etc. When it became about killing each other and abusing women, the genre lost any credibility with me. They've moved past a lot of that, but there's still a "I'm better than all y'all" air that permeates the rap music today, and I can't relate to that at all.

Good and fair question. I hope you get a lot of answers.

To be honest, I don't like much rap. I have much respect for it, but it isn't my thing. When I was younger, I really enjoyed Nas. I don't own any albums, and I haven't heard any other rappers from the 90's cause I was born then =D but I like Nas, he's straight up fly. =P

We been gettin alot of RHH peoples coming over here, and some rockers over there in the RHH section, I thinks we is makin a bond here peoples.

I'm in the same position as Rocco... I don't know many rap albums. Let's just say I'd listen to a good Tupac album.

Ignore the trolls, a lot of us here respect rap and all forms of music.

Saul Williams - The Inevitable Rise & Liberation of Niggy Tardust

I'm into a lot of music but not much into country except old school, most of what I get into is alternative-- (punk,ska,gothic,industrial,etc;), but there's a lot of rap artists I do like, speaking of rap, which if you know anybody who's selling Son of Berzerk's"Bezerk Bezerk Bezerk" album, I've been looking for that. For favorite rap album I'd have to say that's hard to decide, like some people I agree Tupac had a lot of feeling so I'd say a lot of his albums but just as much I'd say I also like as much & more a lot of albums by these bands & artists--

B.D.P.(Boogie Down Productions)

KRS One

Ice Cube

N.W.A

Ice T

Public Enemy

Geto Boys

Scarface

Others--like Snoop, Dr. Dre, Paris, Black Sheep, DJ Quick, Westside Connection, & others are OK--- but B.D.P; N.W.A; Geto Boys, Tupac, KRS One, Ice Cube, Ice T, Scarface, Public Enemy--those guys I think help with a political point of view & sadness of the streets that more people should listen to about how crappy this country has had it for so long. A lot of white amerikkka has their eyes closed most of the time. Rap Muzik, I didn't know if you knew this, Punk rockers(the real ones) have supported guys like the black panthers since the 60's--Look up in history about guys like the white panthers--guys like bands like the Up & MC5 from Detroit were constantly scheduling protests together with the black panthers against the facism in the U.S. system. By the way, there's christian rap out there too. KRS One, probably my favorite rapper is awesome!!! As for deciding my favorite album how about would a 12'' version of a song called "Self Destruction" count? It was like the liveaid/bandaid of a rap project, it has multiple rap artists together, which the original version of it, came out in 1989, which has KRS One, Chuck D, Flavor Flav, Kool Moe Dee, Doug E. Fresh, MC Lyte & many other rappers together on one project. It'd take me a lot of hard decisions to figure out about who's got the best album otherwise--that's a hard question as I mentioned.

Edit----Twigs as for what you said about rap, How come many many hard rockin bands even since the 70's, thinks Led Zeppelin is one of the worst dinosaur, sellout, pretentious wannabe bands in history? Yardbirds was the best days for Jimmy Page & Jeff Beck, after that they started to seriously go downhill. Although the Firm wasn't bad & way better than Led Zeppelin. Robert Plant had better solo stuff. As for for Dylan, saying rap success was biased & limited to black people, how then do explain the success of Beastie Boys, King of Pain, Cypress Hill & others, besides that, what do you think Selputura or Soulfly would say about that???

• .

Talib Kweli- Quality

Wu Tang Clan- Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)

Black Star (with Mos Def and Talib Kweli)

Dr.Dre Chronic 2001 I love that album.