Do you start planning your evening meal early in the a.m. or do you wait til last minute?

I always start early and consider what I need and what the meal will be.. some people wait til last minute and have to hurry-up. My friends tease me about this. How do you plan? I love to cook :)

To Dottie: I do freeze a lot of my leftovers for days when I am busy and believe that waste not is want not. Good for you gal.

Oh geeze I must be obsessed with planning.. :)

Favorite Answer

Sweetie and I both like to cook. Some times we plan early and have a pretty large meal with several things that take some time and effort to prepare. We freeze left overs and enjoy them out of the freezer some times. If I cook gumbo's or stew I usually have four large pots on the stove and when ready we eat and then, later, when everything cools off, I freeze in two servings containers. Then in the future it is , cook a pot of rice and thaw and heat a box of stew or a box of chicken, crab, shrimp , guinea or chicken and sausage gumbo. I always have a supply of cold beer in the frig so in the summer it is gumbo over rice and cold beer. In the winter on a cold wet winter day when you really want something to warm you up it is stew over rice and cold beer.or gumbo over rice and cold beer. Hey, the cold beer is served summer and winter. You can't expect habit to bow to what you want on a cold winter day. We got traditions to maintain, you know.

Source(s): Texan
  • kiwi

My husband does most of the cooking around here. He starts planning tomorrow night's meal while we are eating today's dinner.

I'm sitting there eating roast beef, and he's asking me if I want meatloaf or pork chops tomorrow? He insists he needs to know now, so he can move stuff out of the freezer and into the fridge so it can thaw slowly.

All those years when the kids were growing up, I'd wait till about noon to plan tonight's dinner. Sometimes had to use the microwave defrost cycle to get it done. But, I have no idea today what I will want for dinner tomorrow. Especially if I have just filled up on what was served today.

No thought ever goes into it.... I just reach into the pantry on the way past it heading toward the computer and after I "down" it quickly I usually discover what it was... For longer meals such as beans out of a can that actually require microwave heating for 120 seconds then I stand at the kitchen sink and "down" that. However I'm apt to just leave it and head back to the computer if the whole deal takes more than about 4 minutes. but then... I'm a guy.... and we do that... <shrug>

• ?

I like to plan ahead so I won't be standing in the kitchen staring into the Fridge trying to decide at the last min. I have done this a few times. Cooking is not what I like to do anymore in summer, I long to be outdoors. We moved to the country and have horses now. So planning a meal ahead of time helps me hurry through it. I like this question. Poppy

• Ray T

5 seconds before I put the cereal into the dish. I am on a diet that is working to keep me healther than I have been in several years Whole grain cereal morning and night. Balanced lunch with little read meat, maybe once a week, protein supplement and 1 hour a day of walking and exercise bike.

I put it off until the last minute as a rule. I live alone and I don't really cook all that much, a bowl of soup and a sandwich or a TV dinner will suffice. I cooked a lot when I was younger but no more.

I decide at the last minute, when I am looking at the restaurant menu! LOL

Seriously, I rarely cook, but when I do, I do like to plan ahead. I like to have all the necessary ingredients on hand, so I keep a well stocked pantry. I also like to make enough to share, because otherwise my poor son-in-law would eat take out every night. Like mother, like daughter.

• Dottie

Well you see Iam a foody that means all I think of is whats going to be my next meal I love to cook but there is nobody to cook for my hubby works 3pm til 6am so all he wants is breakfast food when he gets up and kids and grandkids are to busy so I plan way ahead when he is off that's Sun MON Tues and then we usually run out for something but Iam always thinking.It just seems its cheaper for us to go out I always have so much left overs and we never eat them.

Source(s): I freeze a lot also when I get things on sale Iam a bargin hunter to.

I don't plan meals at all, unless I am having company over...When I get hungry, I go and find something, and fix it...Something quick.....I can chop up some broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower, and drop it in the steamer, and have dinner in 10 minutes, or just grille a steak and potato, and spend 20 minutes....

• Reese

Shar...

I open the fridge... and look around the kitchen, and walla! all of a sudden a meal comes together...You see I love to cook too, but I can never make the same thing exactly the same way twice, ha ha, cause, I am not really sure how we got there!