Poses for family portrait?

I'm taking photos of a small family on the weekend, & was hoping someone could give me some pointers on posing them as this is my first try? (It's not a paid gig, they're doing me a favour by letting me get in some practice & if I get any good shots they get some nice prints in return) The family is a... show more I'm taking photos of a small family on the weekend, & was hoping someone could give me some pointers on posing them as this is my first try? (It's not a paid gig, they're doing me a favour by letting me get in some practice & if I get any good shots they get some nice prints in return)
The family is a couple in their early 30's with a 3yr old boy.

Its just being done in my house, but I will have a large black backdrop set up. Props wise, I've got a couple of white barstools, some little childrens chairs, & an old coffe table that can be covered in material (matching the backdrop) & used as a seat. And the floor of course!

I've noticed that many family portraits have the people posed in a triangular formation, is that the norm? Or is it okay to stray away from that? Also, my backdrop is black so I have requested that the boy be dressed in something bright, should I ask the parents to wear similar colors?

If you could provide some links to examples, that'd be great.

Thanks!