mabes asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Kerry blue?

Hi, i have a Kerry blue male pup, he's gorgeous. very intelligent and has 12 champion ancestors in his family tree, this of course making him a very special pup. One Big problem. When i take him out for walks and he See's another dog he goes crazy, barking, pulling on his lead to get to the other dog, i have tried to control him but it isn't working, It is really embarrassing , can some-one give me some advice, please help, i really luv my pup and would be pleased if i could get him settled.

• Annie
    Favorite Answer

Kerry blue? Did you research the breed first?

Kerry blues are one of my absolutely favorate breeds. I breed show dogs. I have a lot of dogs, relatively speaking (a kennel license too...) But I don't have a kerry blue. Why? They are one of the toughest terriers around.

I like my boys to get along. I can run three intact adult males in the same run without a problem. Kerry blues? You can't even keep more than one intact male or you will have major fights. Even the girls are very difficult, strong minded dogs that can and will take on any and every dog.

I don't own a kerry blue...I admire them from afar.

What to do? Remember what you own, it's not going to be easy. Start with a private obedience class and lessons in getting him to pay attention to your face. Once you have this downpat in an environment with no distractions, start a group obedience class and go consider every walk outside a training opportunity. Be positive, but quite firm with corrections.

This will take time and you will never have a dog you can completely trust around other dogs but you WILL have a dog that you can take for a walk peacefully.

A few other notes, use only a 6' leather leash and a well fitting slip chain collar. No flexis, no flat collars. Learn to "Pop" the slip collar and change your direction when walking -- you are in pulling contests now and you won't win. It's like walking a horse -- if they start to pull one way, you change direction and throw them off balance -- you'll never win a pulling contest with at 1,200 lb horse, nor will you with a kerry blue! Technique is everything.

Have fun with him...wish I could have one, but not with my other dogs here.

PS -- 12 champions is nice for sure, but plenty of show dogs have 4 full generations of all champions behind them. I have a litter here like that, but if half of them are show potential themselves, I'll be very pleased. The others will be very special pets.

Agreed, obedience classes will help teach YOU how to train your dog to pay attention to you, regardless of the situations around you. Many dogs are dog aggressive like what you've described, but it can be fixed. You just need to know when to correct the behavior (either verbally or some people prefer to use training collars, whichever works for him) and rewarding him with treats whenever he's "behaving" and they're walking by him. It's not something that can really be described online- try catching some episodes of the Dog Whisperer as it's a very common issue he features a lot. Here's some examples:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qlslv4ZZy_g

Youtube thumbnail

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uAJkFhOw6p4

Youtube thumbnail

Good luck! =)

he's a terrier its what they were bred for (tenacity)

enroll him in an obedience class and when he passes go on to the next level

terriers need constant challenges if they become bored they can become agressive or destructive

if you dont plan in showing him get him neutered - it will save you alot of headache

also try a Gentle Leader its like a halter(for horses) but dog sized watch the dvd that comes with it

Source(s): breeder owner handler shetland sheepdogs and standard poodles and the proud mommy of one VERY stubborn boxer/eng.bull/pit mix

It is NOT breed related ,12 Ch's is nothing "special"-that's a minimum for a dog to be bred.

*&*.... it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

ALWAYS the human,NEVER the dog!

YOU have failed to TRAIN/DISCIPLINE it.

take him to a professional trainer I'm sure they will help

i recommend taking him to obedience classes..there they can help you teach him to obey orders