What field of science encompasses the study of time travel? Would it be cosmology? or quantum physics?

I want to study the field of science that deals with time travel, so I'm just wondering. (I wish "Time Travel" could be a major :) )

9 Answers

Relevance
  • BJ
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

"In science there is only physics; all the rest is stamp collecting." Ernest Rutherford, Nobel Laureate in Chemistry. Someone paid him back for that remark, but he didn't turn down the prize. Cosmology is a subset of physics. Special relativity, quantum mechanics, aspects of super string theory and thermodynamics all come into play when deliberating time travel...

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

You've got a choice. At the smallest level, there is the uncertainty of quantum physics: that is where we know particles go back and forth in time, although for very VERY brief times.

But in terms of the possibility of humans traveling forwards, and the very VERY unlikely backwards in time, you have to look at the distortions of space-time that are addressed in cosmology.

• 1 decade ago

Don't forget Special Relativity. From it is the only form of time travel that has been PROVEN on the macroscopic scale. The twin brother paradox is where one of the twins gets onto a rocket ship and travels near the speed of light away from earth and then returns years later. To him he will have aged less than his brother who stayed on earth. The difference depends on how close to the speed of light he was traveling.

I say this has been proven because it has been observed at slower speed differences (airplanes) and it even has to be taken into account in satellites so they don't crash into the earth :)

Without the discovery of Special Relativity you would have no satellites, no cell phones, AND NO BROADBAND!!!!!!!!!!!

With Special Relativity you could one day travel into the distant future with very little time going by from your perspective. Currently, we have proven no way of traveling back in time, but if you can figure out how to travel faster then the speed of light then you would be traveling backward in time, as also theorized by Einstein.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The study of general relativity per se (and not just as applied to cosmology) is its own sub-field. If you had to categorize it (ie you wanted to know what hall of the physics department your office would be in), it probably falls within particle physics (although it's pretty distinct from the rest of particle).

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Quantum physics

Dennis G

• koeth
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Philosophy as whilst used wisely can exchange peoples hearts and minds in a efficient way that advantages politics and our high quality of existence. it style of feels the coverage of politics is stimulated by skill of greed anymore. not something useful to mankind as all of us know it. Which in essence makes us loopy and sends us to Psychiatrist and that i've got already got sufficient issues then to take heed to a distinctive for an hour and then turn him returned into the international with some prescription. If I rather have time to take heed to others issues, then i take such problem to heart. some thing they are taught to not do at school. i'd desire to in no way be so callous to a distinctive human beings suffering. i might rather be a bartender at that element. in no way grew to become right into a large scholar of physics once I took a number of training in technology once I went to school. It grew to become into all i'd desire to do To bypass the direction. yet, actual technology is fairly thrilling

• 1 decade ago

I would say quantum phsyics, since they keep talking about traveling backward or foreward through time is like going through a wormhole.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

I do not know the best way to answer this without offending

• lady
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Thankyou all for your answers and opinions!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.