Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

When do eggs really expire?

I usually eat eggs after the stamped expiration date, but when is it definitely not a good idea to do so?

Favorite Answer

Eggs can be the source of some superb meals, but they can also be the source of food poisoning if they are eaten when they've gone bad. How do you tell when an egg is fresh or if it has gone bad, without cracking it open to find out -

Place the egg into a bowl of water. The water level should be deeper than the egg's length.

Observe what the egg does.

Fresh eggs will sink to the bottom of the bowl and lie on their sides.

Slightly older eggs (about one week) will lie on the bottom but bob slightly.

If the egg balances on its smallest end, with the large end reaching for the sky, it's probably around three weeks old.

Eggs that float at the surface are bad and should not be consumed.

Crack the egg open and look carefully.

Blood spots (also referred to as "meat" spots) don't signify a bad or fertilized egg. It's caused by a ruptured blood vessel during the formation of the egg. Since blood spots are diluted as the egg ages, their presence actually means you have a fresh egg. You can eat it safely, or remove the blood spot with the tip of a knife, if it makes you feel better.

Stringy, rope-like strands of egg white are chalazae which are present in every egg to keep the yolk centered. They're not a sign that the egg is bad or fertilized, and they can be consumed safely or removed.

An egg white that is cloudy or has a yellow or greenish cast to it is caused by carbon dioxide not having had enough time to escape from the shell and is especially common in fresh eggs.

Smell the egg. With time, bacteria break down the proteins in the whites of the egg and create a gas. This gas is called hydrogen sulfide, better known as "rotten egg gas."

• levens

Expired Eggs

Do Eggs Expire

When they look funny or smell funny when you break them open. You can't rely on the 'float' test, I've had just-bought eggs that I tested before I boiled them for Easter eggs, and even new ones can float, but not be rotten or bad to eat. My mom had the same thing happen to her.

From what my mom has told me, and from my experience, eggs are good for quite awhile after the date on the carton. I have eggs with a date of May or June in my fridge that are still good that I have been using, with no problem at all. There's no 'set' time that they will turn bad, you just have to use your own judgement upon cracking one open to see.

• Robert

There are a number of factors that can determine whether or not an egg is bad or not, but the three most important ones are whether or not an egg floats at the top of a bowl of water, how far past the expiration date the egg is consumed, and whether or not the egg has suffered any abuse while being handled or cooked.

As for the water test, place an egg in a container of water large enough that the egg has a few inches of water to sit in. Eggs that sink directly to the bottom are the freshest. Those that float are less fresh, but are still safe. Those that float high enough to rest on or break the surface are past their prime and should be thrown out for safety reasons.

As for the expiration date, I wouldn’t use an egg after two or three days past the expiration date. You might have as long as 7-8 days, but why risk it?

You also need to make certain that your eggs are handled properly. Do not allow them to sit out at room temperature for long periods of time, as bacteria can grow even in the freshest of eggs at the right temperature. They can also decrease in quality from Grade AA to Grade A to Grade B (not a health hazard, but a waste of money and quality if you specifically wanted a better grade of egg). Try to use them up frequently to avoid having to deal with old egg issues in the first place. And make certain that you cook them properly to kill bacteria and yield the results that you are looking for (soft-boiled, hard boiled, etc.).

Put the egg in a bowl of water, if it stars floating , it means the egg is not suitable for eating. If it remains in the bottom, the egg can be consumed with out fear.

Source(s): Practical experience

They're USUALLY good for a few weeks after. In fact, if you hard boil eggs that are 1-2 weeks old, they'll peel better.....

I boiled a dozen that expired in september..its new years..they floated...cracked them open...stank..threw out

you should put the eggs in a bowl of water

if it floats, it is a bad egg

one week after the expired date