Why do people say "It doesn't matter what the person looks like on the outside?"...?

...."it's the inside that counts."?

Obviously, personality and how a person treats you are for most people, going to be the number #1 things they look for in a spouse. However, don't looks account for SOMETHING?

Let me ask you this: if you met the greatest person in the world personality-wise...but...you had ZERO sexual attraction to them, would you still marry them, if they asked?

No, looks aren't everything. But is it worth it being with someone who has a great personality, but towards whom you feel no attraction, and will never satisfy you sexually?

Curious what people think about this one. I think people are being somewhat hyppocritical when they say looks don't matter. I think what they MEAN to say, is that looks DO matter...but they're just not the most important things (like personality).

Favorite Answer

I agree with you one hundred percent.

Looks matter. They matter more to some people than to others, but they still matter. The people that say they don't are just trying to sound nice and be politically correct.

A girl that has a great personality that I'm not physically attracted to is a friend... Nothing more. Just the way it is.

A pretty face will get my attention... And a great personality is what will keep me around.

No, it is not worth being in a relationship with someone who could never satisfy you sexually because yes, looks do matter in a relationship. Even if someone was perfect for you personality wise you couldn't stop yourself from thinking about the "what ifs". When people say something like that they forget that we're human. When you see your spouse they should make you happy, it shouldn't make you think of all the possible things that could be change about them to make them more attractive to you.

Because it truly doesn't matter - to me. I can't speak for anyone else. I fall in love with a mind - not a body.

I'm not going to patronize you and tell you I've never looked at someone and thought, "Wow, they're attractive." Of course I have! But for me, that's simply not something upon which I base my choice of mate.

Personally, I am beyond sick and tired of the vapidity and ignorance of the "beautiful people." It's come to the point where I automatically assume what someone will be like if they're considered "pretty" and don't bother listening to or getting to know them (and that could very well be my loss...).

Maybe I'm just commonly jaded - but I'll take substance over appearance any day of the week.

Get ready for Mr. Horndog. He'll be coming at you and you should be ready. I'd tell him to take a hike. PS I wasn't thinking of the fact that he may want to have "an open relationship". Better ask about that. I still say tell him to take a long walk off a short pier.

In most romantic relationships, looks have to matter somewhat because if you are not attracted to them sexually, your relationship won't be healthy

so, I agree that looks matter, but not as much as personality

because, the flip side is also true: a relationship with the hottest girl/guy on the planet couldn't last and be healthy if they had the worst personality. It might be cool for a while, but ultimately, it would end, or be miserable

Wow this is great Question I never Looked at it that way????? I was always the type of person to befriend someone for there soul. And always looked for a mate From his soul or Heart. But I never thought if he were not attractive that I would not wanna get physical with him. I think to find a perfect mate. U do need to look at who they are from the inside. But There has to be both for some people. Some people like me never care of weight looks or ethnicity???

People who look at others for who they are and not what they look like are Diamonds in the ruff.......Many people can say it. But not mean it

All depends on How much god plays a roll in ur life I guess

Source(s): To answer your question. If you mean U have fallin in love with someone beacuse who they are and your not very sextually attrated. That means. They should always be ur closest friend. Yes there should be some kinda of sexual attraction there. Thats just how it all falls together I am married now And not all my friend's think He is the race I would have choosen or has the perfect looks for me. But He is my soul mate and best friend for life. U see a diamond in the ruff always come's out on top

**Yes, it doesn't really matter to me if i did or did not have that between me and my love , but that what really would mean to me is if that we are together and we would live a happy life toghter

i think that for the last question ur right looks ar'nt the most important thing in life.

Personality & looks are towards the bottom of my list. I've dated a straight nerd that liked to skate board. And she dressed very weird.

But my priorities are

Patience, understanding, intellect, respect, support, encouragement, loyalty, confident, & last & least is protection. If she can combine those things i could careless what her persona is like. She just can't be beetlejuice ugly. But i can't ever say i've rejected a woman because of her looks since i've matured and obtained a better understanding that beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.

*EDIT*

My question to you is: if you had gotten into a bad car accident would you date someone that's not physically attractted to you? But obviously she is emotionally?

Source(s): Shoot there are people in Africa that have long necks. I think that's unattractive but in their country their eye beholds that beauty.

I agree with you also. But in some cases personality alone wins someone over. No matter how unatractive some one maybe be, if they are a great person on the inside, then all of that will shine through on the outside as well.

Well I think that looks do matter but notnearly as much as the personality does. Think about it...if you met somebody that was ugly but had a wonderful personality, would you marry them. If I was in that situation, I would not marry him just yet. I would try to find the reason why they dress that bad. Then I would help him try to find his since of style!