:) asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 1 decade ago

Is Antivirus 2009 from microsoft?

I had a virus on my computer and it told me to download and buy antivirus 2009. It got rid of the virus and my computer works better now, but whenever i open it windows defender pops up. Should i be concered about it? I have Vista Business.

Favorite Answer

Yes you should be concerned about Antivirus

2009 as it is a rogue program and as such

has nothing at all to do with Microsoft.

It is installed and advertised through the use of misleading web sites that attempt to make you think your computer is infected with a variety of malware.Once installed,it will scan your computer and list a variety of fake infections that can't be removed unless you first purchase the software. These infections are fake, though, and only being shown to scare you into purchasing the software.

For FREE removal scroll to this..............

Automated Removal Instructions for Antivirus 2009 using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

Please remember to update before scanning.

• MPCheu

The most common antivirus program going by that name and using a year for the version number is Norton Antivirus from Symantec. That said, "antivirus" is a pretty generic name, and many companies use that word in their product naming. I'm not sure if Defender counts, so I'm not sure if Microsoft has an antivirus program out. There was a Microsoft Antivirus program years back that was bundled with Windows, but that was just a rebadge of Norton AV.

If it's Norton, it should be ok. If it's not, I'd be very suspicious of any product that was recommended by a popup that you suspected was produced by a virus. Do a thorough scan using a reputable antivirus program. If you don't want to spend anything, try AVG-Free Edition. If you feel better with a product you pay for that comes in a box, you'll find several choices at your local office supply store.

2

Source(s): Industry Top Antivirus Software - http://MoveAntiVirus.com/?eeNj

Microsoft doesn't create antiviruses. The "antivirus" you downloaded is probably spyware. The virus you got told you to download an application (mimicking official microsoft things) which is most likely a trojan. Buy an official antivirus program (such as NOD32) and scan your computer.

Download Malwarebytes Anti Malware. Update Quick Scan. Delete Infections, Reboot, Full Scan Restart also if prompted to Trust Me I had the exact virus!

if its Norton anti virus 2009 then it shouldn't be a problem as microsoft windows and Norton antivirus work together, so it wouldn't be a problem

microsoft doesnt make antivirus 2009. you should download avast for free (http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html) and scan your computer.

but you also need an antispyware because the popup sounds like a spyware. try adaware : www.lavasoft.com

its itself a virus, it spread trojen and yoy may have to face many problem if you are going to download this. so be aware from this, this is not from microsoft..

i suffered lot because of it.