Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Questions for Jewish people?

What is Ribbono Shel Olom, I think it means god

What is a mashpia, principal, teacher or what

What is Ladover or Hasidus

Whats the difference between a Rabbi, a Reb and a Rebbe

What is Chumash, Rashi and Mishnayes?

What is a goyim, sounds like an insult, like calling a white person a cracker or a mid east indian a rag head.

Do jews not spank their children and have they ever. If not how do they disipline them? Make them pray, that really is worse than a spanking.

I can understand why art is concidered a waste of time to jews but are they not capable of appreciating art?

Apperently jews are not supposed to be athletes either because its a waste of time. Is art and sports concidered evil?

What makes a hebrew notebook different?

Why can't they turn the light on and off again in the middle of teh night on their shabbos or on a holiday?

I'm reading "My name is Asher Lev" and I want to understand it better.

Mark,

I know I can't judge a whole group by a book and thats why I'm asking questions. In the book Ashers dad conciders art and sports frivolous and a waste of time. I sort of guessed you were jewish. Thanks for your answers, they do help but why would a mashpia be in a school with boys and call Asher into his office to talk about his misbehavior? Please add details and answer the best you can. Thanks

what are the 39 forbidden classes of labor or list a few of them anyway please and do the side curls have a meaning, in the book they do not.

Favorite Answer

Ribbono Shel Olom: Master of the Universe

Mashpia- is a spiritual mentor or influential person

I think you meant Chasidic which is a form of Orthodox Judaism

They are the same-rebbe is yiddish for rabbi

Chumash- 5 book os Moses

Rashi- famous French rabbi who wrote commentaries on the Talmud

Goyim is somewhat of an insult. In yiddish it is the only word for Gentile and not meant as an insult but in English it is bad.

Some Jews do spank.

Jews are huge contributors to art. We contribute to movies, music, fine art, etc.

Uh, just to list baseball players.

Cal Abrams, outfielder for the Brooklyn Dodgers and other teams

Lloyd Allen

Ruben Amaro, Jr.

Morrie Arnovich

Jake Atz

Brad Ausmus, Houston Astros catcher

Jesse Baker (Michael Silverman)

Brian Bark

Ross Baumgarten

Bo Belinsky

Joe Bennett (Rosenblum)

Moe Berg, catcher and spy

Nathan Berkenstock

Bob Berman

Ron Blomberg (1948–) Major League's first designated hitter[2]

Lou Boudreau

Ryan Braun, Outfielder Milwaukee Brewers

Craig Breslow

Andy Cohen (1904-1988) 2nd baseman for the New York Giants (1926, 1928, 1929). Managed one game for 1960 Philadelphia Phillies.[3]

Syd Cohen

Harry Danning

Harry Eisenstadt

Mike Epstein

Harry Feldman

Scott Feldman

Matt Ford[4]

Shawn Green[5]

Sid Gordon, infielder for the New York Yankees

John Grabow

Adam Greenberg (1981–) former outfielder with the Chicago Cubs[6]

Hank Greenberg — AL MVP 1935/1940, HoF

Jason Hirsh

Ken Holtzman, pitched two major league no-hitters. pitched in the '60s and '70s

Joe Horlen

Brian Horwitz

Gabe Kapler, outfielder for the Milwaukee Brewers

Benny Kauff — "The Ty Cobb of the Feds"[7]

Ian Kinsler[8]

Sandy Koufax — NL MVP 1963, HoF[9]

Al Levine

Jesse Levis — Catcher with Brewers and Indians in the mid 1990s.

Elliott Maddox, Yankees, Mets, Orioles, Senators, Rangers

Jason Marquis, pitcher for the Chicago Cubs

Erskine Mayer

Marvin Miller — first director of the MLBPA[10]

Buddy Myer, infielder for Senators in the '30s and '40s

David Newhan up for debate as he believes in Jesus [11]

Jeff Newman (American baseball player)

Fred Newmark- Played on the Cleveland Indians during the 1950's

Barney Pelty

Lefty Phillips, managed the California Angels in late 1960s and early 1970s.

Lipman Pike, major league baseball's first player.

Jake Pitler

Scott Radinsky

Jimmie Reese

Jerry Reinsdorf Owner, Chicago White Sox[12]

Dave Roberts (baseball pitcher)

Al Rosen — AL MVP 1953

Goodwin Rosen, "Goody"

Wayne Rosenthal

Richie Scheinblum Outfielder for Indians, Senators, Cardinals, Royals, Reds and Angels (1960s and 1970s) Was on the 1972 American League All-Star Team

Scott Schoeneweis

Bud Selig, Baseball Commissioner

Art Shamsky, outfielder and first baseman in the '60s and '70s with the Reds and Mets.

Larry Sherry, relief pitcher for the Dodgers

Norm Sherry, pitcher, managed the California Angels

Mose Solomon — "The Rabbi of Swat"

Adam Stern[13]

Steve Stone — 1980 AL Cy Young winner

Steve Wapnick

Justin Wayne[14]

Phil Weintraub

Steve Yeager, catcher for the Los Angeles Dodgers

Larry Yellen, pitcher Houston Colt .45s [15] [16]

Kevin Youkilis[17]

Eddie Zosky

Hebrew notebook?

You are not supposed to do work on the Sabbath. Using electricity constitutes work.

Source(s): I am Jewish

Hi again - glad you're still enjoying the book :)

The other answers you've gotten are all good, I'll try to do sweep-up on the last ones:

A mashpia is a term of respect for the rabbi who runs a school or other learning center. Asher (like all Chassidic kids) goes to a religious school, not a public school. These schools tend to be small and the people in charge keep tabs on all the students, for guidance as much as for punishments.

A Hebrew notebook is the same as a regular notebook, but the front cover is on the "back" - since Hebrew is read from right to left, all Hebrew books open "backwards"

The 39 categories of work that can't be done on the Sabbath are here: http://www.ou.org/chagim/shabbat/thirtynine.htm

On holidays the list is a bit shorter - there are some things which are prohibited on the Sabbath but permitted on holidays, like cooking and carrying. The only exception is Yom Kippur, which is treated like a Sabbath day in terms of work, plus has an additional set of special restrictions to honor its holiness.

Again, Potok's works are about the problems Chassidim have assimilating into American culture, and even with other Orthodox Jews. If you end up enjoying Asher Lev, I really recommend you read The Chosen, as one of its main characters is from a traditional mitnaged (non-Chassidic) Orthodox family, which will give you a better sense of what mainstream religious Jews believe. Asher Lev is a beautiful, haunting book (and probably my favorite) - but it definitely shows a group with an extremely narrow world view. I believe he wrote it late in his career, when readers already knew what his viewpoint was.

BTW, Jewish art is and always has been valued, even by Chassidim. The main issue was not art in and of itself, but non-Judaic art (not to mention the bulk of religious art which is predominantly Catholic). If Asher had stuck to painting pictures of the rabbis, or of Biblical scenes, or had decorated mezuzah cases or other pieces of purely Jewish character, it's possible that even his parents would have eventually come around. Because that would be seen as art glorifying G-d's name, rather than a pastime that takes away time from Torah study. But instead, (spoiler alert!) Asher started to explore 'Passion' scenes and paint crucifixions - and truly did turn from accepted / appropriate art into a world which was not permitted - and would be frowned upon even by the mainstream Modern Orthodox community today.

It's a great book because it explores the intersection between truly good art - which forces you to think and re-examine - and art for decoration's sake, which doesn't trouble anyone, but may not truly be Art. That's a universal theme, not just a Jewish one - can you create true Art without selling your soul? Or do you have to compromise your vision in order to live a good life? If that subject interests you by the time you finish, you might want to pick up a copy of The Fountainhead (Ayn Rand) - I don't think anyone has tackled that subject better.

Ribbono shel olam = G-d as Creator of the universe.

Mashpia is the title of a rabbi or rabbi's wife who serves as a spiritual mentor in a girls' seminary belonging to the Chabad-Lubavitch Hasidic movement.

Rabbi, Reb and Rebbe are all titles for a rabbi; usually, Rebbe means "my rabbi".

The Chumash is another word for the printed version of the Torah; Rashi was a medieval commentator on the Talmud and the Torah; the Mishnah is the Hebrew word for the Oral Torah.

Goyim is the plural word for "gentiles" in Hebrew.

Jews discipline their kids like other kids, as far as I know.

Of course we appreciate art; why would you think otherwise??

We *love* athletics and sports!!

A Hebrew book reads from back to front and from right to left.

Turning lights on during Shabbos is equivalent to making a fire, which is one of the 39 forbidden classes of labor on Shabbos.

I haven't read My Name is Asher Lev, but there are probably a lot of online summaries and studies of it.

[edit] Oops, forgot one: chassidus is the teaching of Chassidism. Chassidism is the movement within Judaism founded by Rabbi Israel Baal Shem Tov stressing service of G-d through the mystical in addition to the legalistic dimension of Judaism, the power of joy, love of G-d and one's fellow, emotional involvement in prayer, finding G-dliness in every aspect of one's existence, and the elevation of the material universe.

Ladover is a fictional movement based on the Chabad-Lubavitch branch of Chassidism.

Source(s): I'm Jewish.

Ribbono Shel Olom