Can a Ruger 10/22 LR use any .22 caliber LR rimfire ammo?

If not, what specific types should I get?

Favorite Answer

Depends what version of 10/22 you have. Yes you can shoot about any .22 cal Long Rifle in a standard version. Yes you can also use .22 Longs as well as .22 short, feasible or advisable..no. The High end Target 10/22 with target barrels you would definately not shoot the Longs or Shorts as well as any Shotshell. The target models are also not meant to shoot CCI's Stingers, but function well in the regular model 10/22. Also if you do decide to shoot .22 cal Shorts be aware they will not cycle in the magazine and will only cause jams. It is plainly stated in Rugers manuals NOT TO SHOOT ANYTHING BUT .22 LONG RIFLES in the 10/22. If you look inside the chamber and look at the beginning of the chamber of a 10/22 you will see it is synthetic not metal and the shorts will eventually burn that out rendering it unsafe and useless, so just stick with major brands of .22 cal Long Rifles and stay away from using anything else and it will be fine.

Source(s): U.S ARMY RANGER RECON SNIPER FAC [PANAMA, GULF WAR AND SOMALIA] 1/75TH RANGER BN HHC A&B CO 24TH INF DIV XVIII AIRBORNE [SFC] RET.

Super Colibri ammo is marked for use in pistols. In a longer rifle barrel, there's apparrently a risk that the bullet may get stuck in the barrel. (Personally I don't know that I buy that theory, but I want to make sure you know that the manufacturer things there is a risk of it.) You've already figured out its not going to cycle the action. And since Super Colibri rounds use the .22 short case... Its not likely to work in the magazine if a .22 short won't reliably feed in the magazine. If you simply want a really quiet .22 round which is safe for use in a rifle chambered for .22LR, I think you'd be better off getting the CCI CB Long. The case length is the same as a .22LR round, but the bullet is the .22 short's. (This removes the issue of leading/fouling in the chamber and throat erosion.) Muzzle velocity and energy are a bit higher than the Super Colibri (at around 700 fps and 30 fpe). It still won't cycle a semi-automatic, but at least you won't have to worry about it getting stuck in the barrel.

As long as it is .22 LR, then you will have no problems. Some ammo shoots better than others. In my 10/22, Remington Subsonic HP's seem to be the most accurate.

Yes, you can use any brand of .22lr ammo but if you try several different brands you will probably notice that your gun shoots better with some brands than it does with others. The brand will vary from gun to gun.

Make sure you get .22 Long Rifle ammo. .22 Long, .22 Short. .22 BB Caps, and .22 CB Caps are too short to function in your rifle. You can load them into the chamber one at a time by hand and they will fire but they will not feed from the magazine.

All .22 ammo is not rimfire. .22 Hornet, for example is a centerfire cartridge.

.22 Magnum, also called

.22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire, (WMRF) or

.22 Winchester Magnum,

is a different cartridge and will not fit your gun.

• H

Some semi-automatics won't cycle subsonic loads. To be sure I'd use CCI Mini Mags in a Ruger 10/22 LR.

H

yes, you can use any 22LR, I like CCI or Remington.

The 10/22 will chamber 22LR and 22Long, but not 22Magnum or 22Short.

Obviously, the magnum round is too big for the magazine, and I never could get 22 shorts to feed correctly.

I have never had a failure with 22LR or 22L

Yes it can use any 22 LR ammo

Your Ruger 10/22 is chambered in 22LR.

Sometimes 22 long will work.

Please stick to 22 Long Rifle cartridges.

Source(s): 20 years L.E., Police Armorer, Master Firearms Instructor and FFL Dealer

Yes, I'd buy a bunch of different kinds and see which shoots and functions the best.

Yes it can. cci stingers are the best , over 1600 FPS puts them close to a 22 mag.