poppy
poppy asked in Food & DrinkBeer, Wine & Spirits · 1 decade ago

please tell me, what is the point of salt around a margarita glass?

is it supposed to get salt in your margarita for flavour to make t taste good?

or is it so you make funny faces at your friends as you drink it together to make them laugh?

if its because of the former, is there supposed to be salt inside a margarita?or did i just add too much and achieve the latter effect? thanks

Best Answer

someone said the best taste of every kind of food or drink have 3 taste mixed together.

Sweet sour and salty..

MAgarita is the best Cocktail...for it have equally taste of the three i mention.

If you mix it in the right way you will understand how fantastic it is/

You don't have to buy margarita salt. Medium to coarse sea salt or kosher salt will work just fine. To get it to stick, You run a lime around the edge of the glass and dip the glass into salt that you have spread on a plate . You can also just dip the glass in the margarita before you pour it, and then dip it in the salt. That works really well too. You can also flavor the salt with lemon or lime zest or chili powder if you like a little kick.

The human mouth tastes 4 basic flavours - sweet, salt, sour, bitter. In the same way there are only 3 primary colours but we see tens of thousands of different colours and shades those four flavours in varied combinations make up our pallette of taste. The margherita has the sweet and bitter, any garnish (lemon) the sour and the salt on the rim all combine to give a rounded flavour. Vary the ammounts get a different taste.

Salt just tastes good with tequila. You can keep drinking from the same place on your glass if you don't want it with every drink. Some people prefer sugar on the rim of their margarita glass.

When a margarita is made the bartenders wet the outside of the glass and put rock salt on the outside. If it is a strawberry or other sweet margarita, sugar is used. You don't have to order it that way. I prefer mine without either. It is just a matter of taste

It dehydrates you and makes you want to drink more. Same can be said of free salted nuts or salted pop corn. Principally marketing tool, but I take salt with tequila because it does taste that bit better. Should be noted, if I'm drinking tequila, the long term plan isn't staying sober :'0)

its put on the rim to give you a slight salty taste before drinking the sometimes sour margarita...its cuts the bitterness

like licking salt then doing a shot of tequila

my boyfriend loves salt around his glass and inside his margaritas .. it gives it a totally different taste even if its just around the rim.. believe me i hate salt around the rim !~!

it enhances the flavour but only when on the rim of the glass not inside the drink....

I never do because my margarita is so sweet - salt would ruin it!