Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsOther - Diseases · 1 decade ago

is taking sleeping pill everyday bad ????

i take one every night if not i cant sleep

but i wanted to know how bad is taking sleeping pills

can it kill you or leave you in a coma??

Favorite Answer

It depends on the sleeping pill....

if you are taking something natural like Melatonin, than it is not habit forming and shouldn't cause any problems.

If you are taking Ambien or other prescription sleep aids, then you need to be aware that they are habit forming and can lead to drug abuse.

It is recommended that you not take Ambien more than 3 nights in a row... you should skip the 4th night, even if you don't sleep well, to make sure your body is not becoming addicted.

Also the more you use a sleeping aid, the less affective it becomes and the more you need to take to achieve you desired results...

I suggest you try Melatonin, you can find it at GNC, Wal-Mart, Rit-Aid...etc, it is a herbal supplement that works with your body natural melatonin levels to help you go to sleep easily.

I have to give it to my son, because he takes seizures medications that will keep him up, and it works great for him

Source(s): Registered Nurse and former Pharmacy tech

It's a good idea to avoid sleeping pills, and it's not because you will die or have a coma, it's mainly because you will risk becoming addicted to them having a dependency problem. It's only in very rare cases that people have a bad reaction and go into a coma. Like if you listen carefully to the Ambien commercial, it mentions the dependency disclaimer. It's better to find a way to sleep better without using drugs. Here's some suggestions that I read and helped me:

1. Establish an exercise routine

2. Avoid eating big meals when it's close to bedtime

3. Try to go to bed around the same every night getting at least 6 or 7 hours of rest.

4. Eat healthy

5. Don't nap during the day

6. If your sleep problem is caused by stress, practice stress managment techniques

7. If you cannot fall asleep for at least 30 minutes after getting into bed, don't toss and turn, get up and do something that isn't mentally overstimulating such as watching TV, something to unwind to.

8. Read something that is ridiculously boring.

9. Play calm ocean music

10. Avoid arguing and emotional confrontations right before bed time.

11. Try to avoid caffeine, alcohol, and cigarettes during the evening hours and right before bedtime.

Don't ever take the sleeping pills route!!

1. They will damage your liver big time and you can get into serious health problems.

2. You will get hooked up on them and you won't be able to have a normal life any more if you don't take your pills everyday.

The sleeping pills industry is damaging our health by capitalizing on our ignorance, and by distracting people from effective and natural ways to deal with this problem. I had been taking prescription sleep medications [Ambien] for over 5 years. It stopped working and I simply took more. Still did not work. Nights were very difficult - medication put me to sleep but I would wake up after 2–3 hours with a strong sympathetic response (fast pulse, pounding heartbeat, wide awake alert). It was a very difficult cycle to break. I was really in bad shape due to lack of sleep.

After years of struggling I was able to cure my insomnia naturally and pretty fast. I followed the Sleep Tracks sleep optimization program, here is their official web -site if you want to take a look: http://www.insomniacure.net

Ohhh..and Good Luck!

Well it depends what type of sleeping pills are you taking. If you're taking over the counter or prescribed you can get addicted to them. Some people develop a need to continue taking sleeping pills are known as dependence or addictive. You may also develop withdrawals symptoms when sleeping pills are stopped suddenly after being used for a long time. Also there are changes in behavior and thinking such as confusion, agitation, hallucinations, worsening of depression and suicidal thoughts.

It depends on the medicine. I recommend researching the active ingredients. I take melatonin every night, which is a hormone that the body naturally produces. Although the pill can become less effective over time, I have not read anything regarding a health concern that would outweigh the benefit of a good night of sleep. On a side note, if you are feeling miserable, perhaps you should consult your doctor. You could be suffering from a serious mental illness with a reliable remedy. Best of luck.

By the sounds of it it seems as though your body has built up a tolerance to it, as you can't sleep properly without one, i would get off of them immediately and see my doctor, too much of the chemical that causes you to sleep could leave you in a subconsciess state or even, like you said, in a coma. Sleeping pills aren't designed to be taken all the time, its not good for the body, too much of ANYTHING is not good for the body.

is it s prescription some are okay oif perscribed that is the only way u should take one every night..i am sure alot of people do it thpough.but then think about ti is taking any drug eveyr night good for you. im sure its not great and proabbly has some affect on you liver, but on the opther hand not sleeping is deadly .

I hope not because I do it too. I'm sure its not that bad because a ton or people do it! as long as your not taking more than one dose I think you'll be ok.

It is a drug so you can become addicted.