Can any HP printer ink cartridges be interchanged with any others?

Hey yall,

I have an HP 5550 deskjet printer and it takes HP 56 (black) and HP 57 ink cartridges. My friend has had a lot of different printers and subsequently has a bunch of (new) HP printer cartridges laying around, but as luck would have it, no HP 56.

Are there any other HP cartridges that will work in it's place/are interchangeable ? He has HP 14, HP 29 and several others and he said I could buy them for $ 5.00 each if I could use them.

Will any of them work in place of the HP 56 or are they very particular to the printer ? Physically, some of them look very close and could possibly fit, but I don't know if they will actually work just because they may "fit".

Does anyone know if there are any HP inks that can be swapped in place of the HP 56 ? Or am I gonna have to bite the bullet and pay the $ 30 - $ 40 for a new one ?

Thanks for any help anyone can give....

Have a blessed evening....

Favorite Answer

Sorry, the only cartridges that will work with your printer are these:

HP 56 Black Inkjet Print Cartridge (C6656AN)

HP 57 Plus Tri-color Inkjet Print Cartridge (CB278AN)

HP 57 Tri-color Inkjet Print Cartridge (C6657AN)

HP 58 Photo Inkjet Print Cartridge (C6658AN)

HP 56/57 Combo-pack Inkjet Print Cartridges (C9321AN)

HP 56/57 Combo-pack Inkjet Print Cartridges (C9321FN)

HP 57 Series w/100 Sheet Premium Photo Value Pack (Q7926AN)

HP 57/58 Series w/100 Sheet Premium Plus Photo Value Pack (Q7952AN)

HP 57 2-pack Tri-color Inkjet Print Cartridges (C9320FN)

There is no reliable substitute for the #56 cartridge.

If you're looking to save a few dollars (and in some cases 1/2 the price) you may want to consider remanufactured cartridges. These are ink cartridges that have been fully cleaned, parts replaced, and then refilled with ink. Many online retailers, such as http://www.castleink.com sell them -- and the deals can actually be quite good. Most fully guarantee the products too -- so if you aren't happy with the quality you can get a refund.

Hello --

The problem of HP printer cartridges -- The ones that are interchangeable (there are some that are listed as alternates) have different volumes of ink ... and that is the difference.

I've heard some Walgreens stores will refill HP cartridges, it is on my list of things to try.

As I understand it there are electronic chips inside the printer cartridges, and that over time these components "burn out". So perhaps buying used cartridges might not be wise.

I have had good luck with Ink Island. There are other third party ink companies. Then again I there are rumors that using different Inks will cause trouble with the printer ... I am not sure if I believe that though.

Best of luck,

Bill

Hp for most printers has a cartridge that is somewhat full and another that is large capacity or two times. Go to Hp supplies web site or call Cartridge express in your area.

Hp Ink 56

In general, no. HP's cartridges are not generally interchangeable. There are times where a particular printer can handle two sizes of the same type (black or color) which have two different numbers, but those are very specific.

I suggest you save your money.

Sorry.