Can any HP printer ink cartridges be interchanged with any others?

Hey yall, I have an HP 5550 deskjet printer and it takes HP 56 (black) and HP 57 ink cartridges. My friend has had a lot of different printers and subsequently has a bunch of (new) HP printer cartridges laying around, but as luck would have it, no HP 56. Are there any other HP cartridges that will work in... show more Hey yall,

I have an HP 5550 deskjet printer and it takes HP 56 (black) and HP 57 ink cartridges. My friend has had a lot of different printers and subsequently has a bunch of (new) HP printer cartridges laying around, but as luck would have it, no HP 56.

Are there any other HP cartridges that will work in it's place/are interchangeable ? He has HP 14, HP 29 and several others and he said I could buy them for $ 5.00 each if I could use them.

Will any of them work in place of the HP 56 or are they very particular to the printer ? Physically, some of them look very close and could possibly fit, but I don't know if they will actually work just because they may "fit".

Does anyone know if there are any HP inks that can be swapped in place of the HP 56 ? Or am I gonna have to bite the bullet and pay the $ 30 - $ 40 for a new one ?

Thanks for any help anyone can give....

Have a blessed evening....