Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingToddler & Preschooler · 1 decade ago

Trying to potty train our 2 1/2 year old girl?

Me and my husband have been trying to potty train our youngest since she was 1 1/2 years.She used to tell us when she had to pee sometimes,and every time she had to poop.But now she just goes in her pull up and won't say anything.Our 5 1/2 year old daughter was very easy to potty train,but not this time around =)

i'm tryin to potty train my 2 1/2 not my 5 1/2.sorry i confused everybody.Our oldest has been potty trained since she turned 2.But our little one is the one we're having trouble with.

Favorite Answer

It really helped my daughter to build on her interest in the real toilet and to take away the hesitation. I found a very safe and very sturdy stool with sides for the toilet so she could hold on the whole time without touching the toilet. http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Child-Corporation-TPS-...

She loved doing things on her own and potty trained right away. This stool made all the difference and was well worth it. Hope this helps.

I have potty trained my 2 boys and a niece I babysit all before the age of 2.....I just put them in underwear and buckled down to dealing with the mess for a few days. Have plenty of clean clothes on hand, plenty of patience, and a sticker chart always helps. When they get 10 stickers for going then take them to get ice cream or something. Use plenty of encouragement....a timer helps with reminding you both when it is time to try again. Don't give up and be consistent. If you let it go once.......it is like starting from scratch. I also put them in the tub and wash them with slightly cool water when they have an accident.....it helps deter future mishaps!! Good luck!

• Pippin

1 1/2 was very young to begin potty training. She may have found it fun and different at first, but now she's bored with it.

If you really believe she is ready to be trained, then get rid of the pull-up and try regular underwear. Otherwise, put her back in diapers and wait until she IS ready.

OK, I potty trained myself at age 2. So don't worry, just give it some time, she will come around, you are trying too hard. Some babies are just fast, but some are slower. That is normal. K? If she is 4 years old and still can't/won't do it, do to a doctor and tell them.

My most successful tip would be to place a potty in the room where she spends most of her time. I know it is kind of gross bu that way she can go whenever she gets the urge and she will not have to tun to the bathroom or ask you for help.

I would definitely stop the pull ups, atleast when you are home. Either go for underwear or let her go bottomless. The pull ups are great for when you are out and about but can really hinder your progress.

Hey, I don't know if you've tried this, but the way that my mom potty trained us was with M&M's. They were treats, and we only got on if we used the potty. It worked well! We were all potty trained b4 we were 2.

I hope this helped some.

• The last month me and my hubby have really "buckled down" the last couple of months trying to get my little one potty trained. We can up with setting a kitchen timer to "ding" ever 45 mins.. when it dings she goes potty. We also have a sticker chart.. every time she goes potty she gets a sticker.. after 100 stickers she gets something.. a day at the park, ice cream, a dollar she can spend one whatever she wants at the dollar tree...

For my 2 yr old I tried the reward system. Whenever she did what she had to in the potty I gave her a piece of candy and I cheered and clapped to get her excitied and that let her know mommy is happy because of what she did. When she got up, I showed her what she did in the potty. So now she knows to get candy and moomy excitied use the potty.

What you need to do is buy some "big girl pannies" and tell her that only big girls can wear them. Tell her she is not allowed to go potty in them. If she does then take something she like away unitl one time she goes potty in the toilet.

Or buy those papers that you put on the toilet and when they go to the bathroom on it, the pee colors the picture.

the first step is take her out of the pull up!!! It's frustrating I know,, (my daughter is 4 and has been completely potty trained since age 2!)... it's frustrating to constantly change wet panties, but you have to understand that she won't like the feeling either and she'll be more likely to tell you when she has to go to avoid that yucky feeling. the pull up absorbs the pee so it's not as uncomfortable.