Blank DVD's. Should I get +R or -R?

My DVD writer can handle both +R and -R media.

Is one better than the other? The prices for both are the same.

Best Answer

The -R was the original format of the DVD created, and created for non-computer DVD players. The +R came later when DVD burners first appears. They had to make the name different somehow, so the went with +R. They were originally intended for computers and not for other DVD players. Originally other DVD players could not play +R disc, only computers could. (Computer can play -R).

However, 99.9% of other DVD players can now read both +R and -R disc. So it usually makes no difference which you use. However if you are burning the DVD for use in a non-computer player, it never hurts to use -R. It pays on 100% of all DVD players and computers, while the +R is only 99% of them.

If they're the same price go with DvD + R. The only real difference is how much you can fit on the DvD. +R usually holds more. Though some players aren't compatible with it. But unless you have an old computer you shouldn't need to worry about that.

Edit: Excuse my mistake. I go by what I've learned and know. Rarely do I google my answers. So sometimes things get convoluted in my head. One mistake does not constitute ineptitude Tom. Next time you try to dis credit someone take a step back and think about it first. Because an honest mistake != idiocy.

There is no real difference. I do not think here is the right time or place to discuss the diference.

DVD-R are "offical" DVDs which is why they carry the DVD logo.

DVD+R are "un-official" DVDs they carry the RW logo.

I use sony DVD-R x16 they are good.

mr-maclir does not seen to know what he is talking about. DVD-R actually hold 7,319,808bytes more but this is next to nothing.