Child doesn't want to potty train?

I have a 3 year old boy and really want to potty train him. We put him on the potty about once an hour and we are really supportive. My wife an I encouarge him to go but he's really not in to it. He went once and we made a really big deal about it, telling him what a big boy he is. Now when we try to get him to go, he says I'm already a big boy and doesn't want to try again. We are also trying to train his brother who is 22 mnths at the same time. HELP!?!? Are we doing anything wrong?

**Please only answer if you are a parent and have expirence with this. Thanks!

Favorite Answer

It helped my sons to potty train standing up. They could see what was happening and connect what they saw with what they felt. I researched and found a very safe and very sturdy stool with sides for the toilet so they could hold on whether sitting or standing. http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Child-Corporation-TPS-...

Both my sons climbed up without hesitation and they quickly potty trained because they were so comfortable. This stool made the difference for them and was well worth it. Hope this helps.

• LSBN

I am a big advocate of letting the child train when they are ready, and only you will truly know if he isn't training because he likes the convince of a diaper. So here is my suggestion, put him in underwear, NOT pull-ups. For the life of me I will never understand why people try to train with pull-ups, talk about confusing. Every person I have ever known that struggled with training used pull-ups. Once you have him in underwear remind him every so often about the potty chair but don't make him sit on it. Ask "Johny do you need to use the potty chair?" I have found that mandatory potty chair time usually back fires and the child feels like its a time out almost.

Honestly there is nothing more powerful to motivate a child to potty train then the discomfort of wet pants, I bet after a few accidents he will have it down pat. Good luck

L

• Annie

Here is what helped with my son when he was 3. He is 4 and half now. We got him completely potty trained in about 3 months.

We used a potty chart and he got a sticker every time he went. He would get a prize for every fifth time he went #1 and a prize for every #2. You can decide the frequency of the reward. It can be a cookie, or a small toy. We did a lot of hot wheels cars since you can get it for 97 cents at Target.

We also had a "pee-pee train ride" - basically we went around the house doing train sounds every time he went.

You have to figure what your child's motivation is and use that.

We used the train chart at the link bellow. It worked so well that his daycare adopted it for all the kids on it.

http://www.childavenue.com/pages/family_corner_pag...

Good luck!

Boys mature slower than girls and it may be that he is just not yet ready. I am sure that you are ready though! I would keep the potty out, so that he continues to see it. Put him on it in the morning, after nap, and before bed and bath time. If he goes great, if not at least he will get the idea of sitting on the potty.

I would not pressure him. He is just not yet ready. Give it another month or so and try hard again. See how he reacts then. Some kids do take a while.......hang in there....it will happen. You are not doing anything wrong. Good Luck!

Do you take him and his brother at the same time or at different times. If you take them at the same time he may not want to use it while his lil brother is in there. He may be afraid that the lil one will use and he wont be able too and the lil one will have more praise. I have a two and half year old son and he was easy to potty train. Sometimes you can try to get a step stool and put it next to yours and your wifes toilet and have him stand on it and put cheerios in the toilet and have him aim at them. You could also put underwear on him and tell him that he is a big boy but if he wets his underwear then he has to back to diapers and only little boys wear diapers. Some are just harder than others but dont give up

Probably not.

My 2 year old will go on the potty consistently for 1-3 days and then he won't go. He'll either ask for diapers or he will just pee everywhere AND not allow a diaper (of course then I use clothes, etc to keep a diaper on but its a fight).

I really don't think you can make them want to do it.

You *could* bribe him with candy or a "star chart" if you think that would help

Tell him he has to keep going to continue being a big boy, or else he's just a baby. There's also nothing wrong with him going in his pants, make him help you clean up the mess. Don't by pull ups or anything now okay, also get a reward chart or get him to pee inside the cherrios that you throw inside the toiler. Make it fun, and if he doesn't want to have fun he can always clean his underwear messes.

Your three year old is obviously not ready to be potty trained. And I have my doubts about the 22 month old brother as well.

Receiving your toddler out of nappies depends on whether or not a consistent approach is consider. For that reason, if she is at nursery or with a youngster minder, nanny or family members, everybody requirements to consider the identical strategy.

To understand how to potty train your children in only 3 days you will require this system https://tr.im/BGaUr

This valuable program helps you in minimizing the need of changing dirty diapers repeatedly. After employing this plan your little one would be entirely potty educated. It also aids in escalating the self-confidence of your youngster, which is crucial for his improvement.

This system is the perfect plan for Those mother and father who can dedicate 3 days for potty train of their kid. They only need to have to be calm, tolerant and patient and adhere to this guidebook.

I really don't think you are doing anything wrong.

He just may not be ready! You can hold off awhile longer, and try again in a month or two. Or you can keep doing what your doing. Be really positive.

Have you tried a reward? Like a candy each time he goes, or something he would be willing to work for...

Good Luck ~

Source(s): Mom of 3