Can someone just give me a brief answer as to why John Kerry lost in 2004?

I know they were questioning is war service but can you clear it up for me please.

what about the swift boats...what were those.

I agree about his wife....she was weird.

I remember they had a clip of some news reporter and her in an altercation and she told him to "shove it"

not very first lady like.

Favorite Answer

Swift Vets and POWs for Truth, formerly known as the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth (SBVT), is a political group (527 group) of American Swift boat veterans and former prisoners of war of the Vietnam War, formed during the 2004 presidential election campaign for the purpose of opposing John Kerry's candidacy for the presidency.

SBVT asserted that Kerry was "unfit to serve" as President based upon his alleged "willful distortion of the conduct" of American servicemen during that war, and his alleged "withholding and/or distortion of material facts" as to his own conduct during that war. This claim caused tremendous controversy during the election, particularly because some perceived the veterans as partisans who had not been in a place to assess Kerry, while several other Vietnam veterans who served alongside Kerry or under his command disputed the criticisms and supported Kerry in his presidential aspirations.

SBVT stated that "Kerry's phony war crimes charges, his exaggerated claims about his own service in Vietnam, and his deliberate misrepresentation of the nature and effectiveness of Swift boat operations compel us to step forward. The group challenged the legitimacy of each of the combat medals awarded to Kerry by the U.S. Navy, and the disposition of his discharge. (See John Kerry military service controversy.) Further, SBVT said that Kerry's later criticism of the war was a "betrayal of trust" with other soldiers, and that by his activism he had caused direct "harm" to soldiers still at war. (See John Kerry VVAW controversy.)

He also said he was a hero when he wasn't even there!

You should have heard the hearings he talked at after Viet Nam and how he slammed America ! I was astounded at his comments. he is a jerk! It is ok to protest something but he was over the wall on that one.

He was also in a picture parked in front of a North Vietnamese flag. If he is so proud of his opinons why didn't he run with that photo on a campaign poster? Maybe he could wrap himself in one of those flags and take a stroll down The Wall. He might even hear a few voices from the Past. He would hear the loud whispers of LIAR LIAR LIAR!

• Rick31

I think John Kerry lost the election on the debate when he said that any action on the world front would have to "pass a global test". Since 9/11 was fresh in the minds of Americans, it was the wrong thing to say since America was attacked and not France or Germany. Debates can cripple or make a candidate and Kerry would have won had he taken a harder line on terrorism. The Republican convention and Bush's strength came from the terror debate and that resonated with enough voters for Bush to win. Obama had not said much about fighting terrorism, but it is no longer in the forefront since there have been no attacks since 9-11-01 on American soil, so he may get a pass on being soft on terror that Kerry did not get.

Back in Vietnam, Kerry's swiftboat (I believe its a nickname for the PT-109 Destroyer) was sunk by a Vietnamese craft. He received a medal for his efforts to save his shipmates.

A group known as "Swiftboat Veterans for Truth" attacked the credibility of that story and of Kerry's heroics (or lack of--depending on which you believe) during the Vietnam conflict. These attacks became known as "swiftboating."

And those attacks probably had something to do with Kerry's loss; if only because he spent so much time defending against those attacks that he never got around to actual campaigning.

But Kerry had other, I think more detracting, problems that sunk his campaign. Number one, the charge of flip-flopper. That attack comes every election and is always aimed at both sides; however, in 2004 Kerry did nothing to help himself when he said, "I voted for it before I voted against it." It is my understanding he was referencing the Iraq War.

Usually, an opposing campaign tries to take one quote and then show where the candidate says something opposite later to get across the idea of flip-flopper. This time, they didn't have to. With that statement, Kerry said it himself.

The other major problem? Gay marriage. Bush and his campaign had Americans so afraid that if Kerry got in, our families would all fall apart as husbands all over this country abandoned their families to go get gay-married in Massechussetts.

Democrats should never underestimate the extreme discomfort of the American psyche when it comes to gay people. And I believe this, more than anything else, is what destroyed Kerry's chances at the Presidency.

Kerry lost because the truth came out about his inflated war record, especially his three purple hearts. One wound was self inflicted, and the third, required only a band aid, according to the military doctor that treated him and came forward to refute Kerry's account.

Then, he lied about his voting record for supporting the war and funding the troops.

Kerry lost because people cannot be fooled by liars for very long.

Part of the reason Hillary lost is because she lied about having to dodge sniper fire in Bosnia.

Kerry did not get enough votes; even with almost total news media support. Everyday Americans voted for Bush.

I don't think he fought hard enough against the "swift boaters". Plus, since we were/are engaged in a military action many people thought that the 'devil you know is better than the one you don't know.' Lastly, fear, that if a democrat won, the terrorists would come over here and kill us all.

• Dude

Bush was a significantly better candidate. Kerry is a typical Massachusetts liberal and was rated the most liberal member of the Senate at the time, based on voting record. Obama holds that distinction this time.

Personally I think it was becuase John Edwards got absolutely humilitated in a debate against Dick Cheney. Although, it was a Vice Presedential debate it served as a momentum swinger for the Bush Campaign.

1. Ran a VERY poor campaign.

2. Got swiftboated and didn't respond to it until way too late.

3. Too liberal.

4. Empty suit.

5. Has a wife EVERYONE hated.

6. Couldn't articulate a plan to address any of the issues.

Wow. A lot of this sounds just like OhBummer.

Swift boat ads