Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 1 decade ago

Macbook crashing?

This may be the deal breaker for me to switch to mac. Do Macbook's generally crash a lot? I've heard a lot of different mixed responses. Also, if there is a problem with a mac, is it more complicated to fix than a PC?

Thanks

Favorite Answer

They shouldn't crash although a lot depends on the capabilities of the user. Some "ex" PC user's MacBooks will possibly crash more because they keep trying to use it like a PC - bit like changing gears in a manual car without using the clutch.

As a production Mac user for 3 years the worst I ever had was corrupt files when I had a tight dealine to meet. Overall the system is very stable. I have been a Mac user for 8 years and counting and started out on Mac OS 9.2.4

Generally though it is the software that freezes and this is easily recoverable with a Force Quit of the application or a hold down of the Power Button for 5 seconds for a forced reboot. These are the most common forms of Freezing on a Mac.

If there is a problem with a Mac is it harder to fix than on a PC?

- that would depend on whether it was hardware or software and if it was software is it system related or a 3rd party file gon corrupt.

For hardware related stuff you generally need to send it to an authorised Apple repair agent or Apple direct, expecially if it is a laptop. Having Apple Care can help too.

If it is a firmware issue (which does happen) they are usually solved or created by Apple updates.

3rd party software - usually solved by the user working out the problem.

new users guide to Mac

http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/

Source(s): Mac user since 2000.