Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Does faith in Christ alone justifed eternal salvation without the need to observe God's commandments?

Favorite Answer

Some churches teach that just faith is enough to receive salvation. This is a false doctrine. They misconstrue some verses to support this teachings.

Ephesians 2 (8,9)

"For by grace you have been saved through faith; and this is not your own doing, it is the gift of God; not because of works, lest any man should boast."

We have to have faith in Jesus to be saved, but, if we believe in Jesus, we are supposed to obey what he has taught. If someone teaches you there is no need to obey what Jesus taught, and we just need to believe in him, you just think what a contradiction is it!

• Hogie

There were God's commandments to Adam and Eve; there were God's commandments to Abraham, and the other patriarchs, and there were God's commandments to the Children of Israel.

There are also God's commandments for Christians.

Where a lot of people mess up here is in assuming that the commandments required of the children of Israel are somehow required of Christians.

This overlooks the covenant aspect of that old covenant law.

The gospel says we are saved by faith, and not faith and the law, which is a claim that falsifies the gospel.

.

James 2:26 (King James Version): For as the body with out spirit is dead, so Faith with out works is dead also.

-You can have all the faith you want in something, But if you do nothing about it. What good is your faith??

1 Peter 2:21 (New World Translation) In fact, to this course you were called, because even Christ suffered for you, leaving you a model for you to follow his steps closely.

Galatians 5:19-23 (New World Translation) Now the works of the flesh are manifest, and they are fornication, uncleanness, loose conduct, idolatry, practice of spiritism, enmities, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, contentions, divisions, sects, envies, drunken bouts, revelries, and things like these. As to these things I am forewarning YOU, the same way as I did forewarn YOU, that those who practice such things will not inherit God’s kingdom. On the other hand, the fruitage of the spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faith, mildness, self-control. Against such things there is no law.

-I hope I helped you out.

• Rob

Kindof a tricky question really. Does faith alone save? Can I claim faith and then break all the commandments and expect to make it to heaven?

Jesus saves us and there is nothing we can ever do to earn or to buy this gift. We are justified by faith and that's a gift, we can never earn it, Jesus did that for us and all the good works in the world cannot stand before God. But can you lose this gift by becoming the embodiment of evil? Lets read some more quotes.

Paul also wrote these things: "love your neighbor as yourself" (Gal. 5:14). Show the "fruit of the Spirit" (Gal 5:16–26), Bear one another’s burdens (Gal. 6:1) as a way of fulfilling the "law of Christ" (Gal. 6:2). Our works can never justify us or save us, but the works we do that grow out of our faith in Jesus are definately part of our justification. Does that make sense? You cannot earn Salvation from Christ. But since you still have free will, what you do after you accept this awesome gift from Christ is something you should not take lightly!

Pauls words and Jesus's words cannot contridict themselves. If all you had to do was say "I believe!" and then go back to murdering your neighbor, Paul and Jesus would be contridicting each other. Jesus's words are, "Love one another as I have loved you!" If you truely love, you are full of all virtue and as such, you don't need someone to tell you not to commit adultry, you just care about your brother and his wife to know to not hurt them in that way. Also in Matthew 25 Jesus made it very obvious what His measuring stick was to get into heaven. Separating out the sheep and the goats on whether or not they treated each other with simple kindness and treating each action towards our neighbor as something we did to Jesus himself: "Lord when did we see you hungry, or thirsty or....? Whenever you did it for the least of my brethern, you did it for me!" That measuring stick is love, simple caring for our neighbors.

Finally I leave you with some more of Paul's words, "and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing....But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13.

Take that awesome gift you received from Christ and use it to cultivate as much love as you possibly can by both virtue in your heart and taking care of your neighbor, town, nation and world!

The most used scripture in the bible says it all....

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Hebrews 10:9...He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

• RussJW

Salvation is gift. (Ephesians 2:8,9). We don't owe it to works. But our faith will be proven worthy through our works.

Consider these:

James 2:17-18

Thus, too, faith, if it does not have works, is dead in itself. Nevertheless, a certain one will say: “You have faith, and I have works. Show me your faith apart from the works, and I shall show you my faith by my works.”

James 2:21-26

Was not Abraham our father declared righteous by works after he had offered up Isaac his son upon the altar? 22 You behold that [his] faith worked along with his works and by [his] works [his] faith was perfected, 23 and the scripture was fulfilled which says: “Abraham put faith in Jehovah, and it was counted to him as righteousness,” and he came to be called “Jehovah’s friend.” 24 YOU see that a man is to be declared righteous by works, and not by faith alone. 25 In the same manner was not also Ra′hab the harlot declared righteous by works, after she had received the messengers hospitably and sent them out by another way? 26 Indeed, as the body without spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.

People also have wrong idea that a person once saved is always saved. COnsider what happend to Judas Iscariot. He accepted Christ as his leader. Will he always be saved? Matthew 24:13 reads.. "But he that has endured to the end is the one that will be saved."

Faith is very important, but it should be accompanied by righteous works. Or else, our faith will be useless (or dead as stated in James 2:26) and not worthy of salvation. =)

According to some bible verses Yes and some No. Some seem to say maybe. So the bible doesn't give you an answer to this question. We save our own souls through knowledge and meditation this is the truth. Have you opened your Chakras or empowered you aura. If you want more information on the true purpose of the Bible please visit www.exposingchristianity.com

We can never obey God's commandments thoroughly enough to deserve eternal life. That's why Jesus came-to be our righteousness. But if I am truly one of God's children by faith in Jesus' sacrifice on the cross, then I will want to to observe God's commandments. I will desire to do right and seek his righteousness. Because I still have a sin nature, I still sin, but he is there to forgive and teach me a better way.

• Liz

You hear those people that say... "if you accpet Jesus with a prayer, then He will definetly come into your heart".... that is not true. In the book of Ephesians.. it says you are saved by faith alone. So yes.

Anyone who feels there is no need to observe God's moral laws (i.e. the Ten Commandments) will never put all their faith in Christ alone for salvation.

Lawless people have no concern for being sinners. They have no appreciation of the horrendous cost to God and Christ in paying the price for our sin, and they mock the Spirit of Grace who operates in repentant sinners, giving them the desire to please God and to obey his perfect will.