. asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 decade ago

What does the phrase "pot meet kettle" mean?

I've always been curious about its exact meaning.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

It comes from the phrase: pot calling the kettle black.

The phrase "Pot calling the kettle black" is an idiom, used to accuse another speaker of hypocrisy, in that the speaker disparages the subject for a fault or negative behavior that could equally be applied to him or her, though there is an alternative interpretation. In former times cast iron pots and kettles were quickly blackened from the soot of the fire. The pot would then be hypocritical to insult the kettle's colour, since both are black with soot. When used in debate, the "pot calling the kettle black" may be illogical, as it is a form of the argument ad hominem.

• pihl
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Pot Meet Kettle

• fittje
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Pot And Kettle

• 6 years ago

Although you all correctly describe the phrase "Pot calling the kettle black" I don't think you answered the question "What does the phrase "pot meet kettle" mean?". "pot meet kettle" is a third party's reference to two other people engaged in conversation. It means the two people both share the same problem; between the two of them their conversation can be considered to be 'the pot calling the kettle black'. Example: Jim says John is an idiot. You know both Jim and John are idiots so you introduce them to each other saying "pot, meet kettle".

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

It is a reference to the saying "the pot calling the kettle black" and is used to accuse a person of scolding someone for an action the first person has done or said. You might use it when someone who was a bad driver complained about someone doing something stupid while driving.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What does the phrase "pot meet kettle" mean?

I've always been curious about its exact meaning.

Source(s): phrase quot pot meet kettle quot mean: https://tr.im/NI0Mm
  • 1 decade ago

When someone is putting down another person for something and they themselves do the exact same thing.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.