Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Did you know that LDS stands for "Latter Day Saints"?

Mormons call themselves latter-day saints.

1) How does this self-identification effect one's personality?

2) Does it make a person more judgemental than non-latter-day saints?

Favorite Answer

Matthew 27:52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,

Acts 9:13 Then Ananias answered, Lord, I have heard by many of this man, how much evil he hath done to thy saints at Jerusalem:...

32 ¶ And it came to pass, as Peter passed throughout all quarters, he came down also to the saints which dwelt at Lydda....

41 And he gave her his hand, and lifted her up, and when he had called the saints and widows, presented her alive.

Acts 26:10 Which thing I also did in Jerusalem: and many of the saints did I shut up in prison, having received authority from the chief priests; and when they were put to death, I gave my voice against them.

Romans 1:7 To all that be in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Romans 8:27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God

Rom. 12:13 Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality.

It's mentioned about 50 more times in the Bible, referring to those who believe Jesus is the Christ. That's all the requirements you need to be a Saint.

We don't believe in "sainthood" like the Catholic church does. As you can see, it's not Biblical.

1. It all depends. One who is grounded in their testimony, usually is proud to be Latter Day Saints, while one who does not live up to the standards of the Church usually is not.

2. Identifying one's self as LDS does not make one more judgmental of others. The Church has always implored its members to be great friends and neighbors of all faiths. This may be particularly difficult to do in Utah because (a) most people there are LDS, and (2) the smaller number of non-LDS makes it difficult for many of the LDS people to relate. But in other areas, members usually have lots of non-members friends, and are not judgmental of them.

EDIT**** Wow! Just for the record, Nikki, who was formerly the evil clown, it is not Kipp, the cat. Remember Kipp, Nikki, whatever you're name is, I am WATCHING you here.

Although the Catholic church ascribes special status to "Saints", in reality they were just members of the church. I am LDS and we don't look down on non-members. We are all children of our Father in Heaven. We came to Earth to learn faith, and we are all in different stages of our instruction. Faith is not an easy lesson.

Faith is viewed differently by the LDS than it is by most other churches. To most people, faith just means believing in some doctrine without any evidence of its accuracy. To the LDS, faith means trusting the Spirit of the Holy Ghost. We are taught how to recognize the Spirit, and how to make it part of our lives. It teaches us doctrine, testifies of truth, warns us of danger, and prompts us to serve other people. It enhances our lives in many ways, and the experience is very positive and very substantial. Membership in the church usually starts with the challenge to read the Book of Mormon, and ask God whether it is true. A scripture in the Book of Mormon promises that God will then reveal the truth "by the power of the Holy Ghost". This is often a member's first spiritual experience. With diligence and continued faith, many more follow.

1) Well, by being LDS, I hold mysef to the high moral standards laid out in our standard works (KJV Bible, Book of Mormon, Pearl of Great Price, and Doctrine & Covenants) and talks given by our general authorities (church leadership). But as I am not a Utah mormon, being LDS does not affect me in many of the cultural ways it does LDS in Utah (for ex. - I hate green jello).

2) No. In fact, we're constantly admonished by our leaders to be loving to all men. There is a difference between hating a sin and hating a sinner. The Savior was a perfect example in this, and we strive to follow his example. There are some LDS that are biased against non-LDS (I met some that were convinced I couldn't be a good Mormon because I didn't grow up in Utah), but they are wrong to do so in the eyes of their own faith. Just as with any large group, you have good examples and bad examples of that group.

• Mike B

Living in a world where things that would be sins for me (coffee, tea, tobacco, alcohol) are not considered sinful at all by those around me taught me quickly that judging others does not lead me to happiness. All people judge themselves by the standards that they have accepted for themselves. Having high standards gives Mormons the opportunity to judge themselves harshly and the few that do are very unhappy people. Most of us however count our blessings and feel the love of our Savior and are grateful and happy.

• Jacob

No, if you become a latter day saint you agree to take the name of Christ upon yourself- that includes doing the things he asked his disciples- or in other words followers- to do.

He asked them to be humble, meek, patient, long-suffering, etc...

He told them to be perfect as their father in heaven is perfect,

He told them to feed the poor, clothe the naked, visit the widows and sick,

Basically, he said to do good in all times and all places. That leads you to give up judgement to God and forgive others of anything they do.

they believe they were sent here by God,.personally, in the latter days to do missionary work. they are dumb.