Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 1 decade ago

systems analyst.. 2 yr degree or masters needed??

im thinking of a complete career change, i orginally got my associates in science in radiography (im an xray tech) and then immediately went on to a university to get my bachelors of science in health sciences... but my goal is to do something with computers, pref more along the lines of systems analyst, networking, setting up new networks/computers for companies, managing information systems, etc... i have no formal education in computers, but can say that i know id be good at and enjoy the job. i was originally looking to go get my masters degree in information systems or technology somewhere, but they dont offer it anywhere near where i live which means id have to move and pay out of state tuition and grad programs are very expensive. my other option that i just started to consider is this: there is a community college in my state that offers a computer technology degree, not EXACTLY an managing info systems degree, but offers courses on basic networking, programing, microsoft....

operating systems, java, linux.... so is it worth it for me to go get a masters in info systems, or would i be alright just taking this basic courses at a community college and doing an internship/getting a job. i already have a bachelors degree... so could i just take the comm college courses (which would be alot cheaper, although prob not as good of courses as at a grad school) or do i need to move and pay all the money to get my masters.... what would be my best bet???

my aunt has a job at resorts data processing, she sets up new software/networks/etc for hotels/resorts and gets to travel to all kinds of cool places/work from laptop/home. so should i get a 2 year computer tech degree or the masters in info systems?

Best Answer

To answer your question, since you already have a BS or BA, you need to upgrade your background with the industry language you are interested in; i.e. organizations of education, technology. I would recommend cisco networking at a tech school or A +, or even network + certifications.

Database Structure (tables), Microsoft Access at a minimum, SQL queries for Report Writing. Crystal Reports is an avenue.

Information Systems is the master you would want. You have to know the rudiments of servers, connectivity, and data transformation (import, export); file extensions.

If you love it, it is easy. Professionally you have to be able to talk in a man's world with women (she never forgets), and you have to be able to talk in a women's world interjecting over and into the conversation with men who will not give you a turn unless you do that. You must acquire this skill and it must be more than on your wish list. If you are a man, learn from women, and if you are a women learn from men professors.

Source(s): 18 years in the field, BS in Business Information, Major in Information Systems 1988. Network +, A+ certified. Few master courses in political science, only female in all male departments. Information Systems, Data Base Analyst with title System Analyst. taught Cisco Academy networking for 1 year to seniors. Recently took Sql Querie Report Writing (New Horizons). Worked mainframe, linux, library software, health software, SIS packages, implementation networked applications.

Hi,

It is good that you are asking these types of questions in planning your career. I personally went for my Masters (MBA in Information Technology at Walden University). I would look to see what level you are trying to take your career and where you want to focus...more technology driven, business processing, enterprise, requirements management.

Another option that you have is Certification, in addition to or maybe in lieu of an acedemic degree (although, I am seeing that more and more jobs are looking for bachelors). My suggestion is that you go to the IIBA (International Institute of Business Analysis) website:

www.IIBA.com. This is an organization this is dedicated to raising the professional level of the Business Analyst through education and certification (or BSA, or SA, possibly.) There may be a local chapter in or near your area and if so, you might consider reaching to the group and get acquainted with the benefits. This organization has chapters in over 30 countries, including the US so chances are you will find good contacts in your area. If not, go to our website and feel free to write me at: president@oc-ca.theiiba. Good luck to you in meeting your career goals.

Patricia Perry

President, IIBA-Orange County Chapter

The more you know, the more you can "sell" to a prospective employer. Go for your Masters!