I need some good book suggestions?

I am 26 and have read tons of books from I, Lucifer and Fight Club, to Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings. I like things from every genre.

Lately I have been having trouble finding good books to read and need some good suggestions. I don't have any interest in most fantasy stuff by say authors like RA Salvatore or authors of his kind. I also am not all too interested in things like the Twilight series or too many other things along that line.

Any suggestions welcome though, the more the better. Just looking for good books here, something to keep me entertained.

Wow!! I didn't expect to get so many responses with so many books, I really appreciate everyone's effort helping me out. There are so many to choose from, I don't even know where to begin, I'm gonna start looking them up and see which of them sparks the most interest and I'll start from there.

Thank you everyone. :)

Favorite Answer

I have a website about books. Since you said you are open to every genre, I have copied for you two lists: a list of mystery writers and a list of fantasy writers. At the links below you will find titles for each person on these lists AND at those pages, if you click on an author's name you will be taken either to the author's official website or another appropriate page for that author so you can learn more about their books. I have lists of Sci-Fi, Classics, and Spy/Military Novels as well.

MYSTERY WRITERS: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Agatha Christie, Margery Allingham, Linwood Barclay, M. C. Beaton, Steve Berry, Sandra Brown, Gwendoline Butler, Stella Cameron, Raymond Chandler, Lee Child, Mary Higgins Clark, Michael Connelly, Patricia Cornwall, Catherine Coulter, Robert Crais, Paul Doherty, Barry Eisler, Janet Evanovich, Joanne Fluke, Dick Francis, Margaret Frazer, Lisa Gardner, Anne George, Elizabeth George, Tess Gerritsen, Sue Grafton, Andrew Greeley, John Grisham, Dashiell Hammett, John Hart, Maddy Hunter, P. D. James, Faye Kellerman, Dean Koontz, Gordon Korman, Patricia Lewin, Ross MacDonald, Sharyn McCrumb, Ngaio Marsh, Mary E. Martin, Brad Meltzer, Stuart Palmer, Robert B. Parker, James Patterson, Richard North Patterson, Ridley Pearson, Ellis Peters, Ian Rankin, J. D. Robb, Dorothy L. Sayers, Daniel Silva, Karin Slaughter, Alexander McCall Smith, Marilyn Todd, Peter Tremayne, Margaret Truman, Patricia Wentworth, and Steven White.

FANTASY WRITERS: Edwin A. Abbott, Richard Adams, Piers Anthony, Isaac Asimov, Robert Lynn Asprin, Richard Bach, R. Scott Baker, T. A. Barron, John Beachem, Frank Beddor, Libba Bray, Terry Brooks, Jim Butcher, Meg Cabot, Don Callander, Orson Scott Card, Bob Chapman, Susanna Clark, Eoin Colfer, Glen Cook, Chris D'Lacey, Stephen R. Donaldson, David Eddings, Michael Ende, Steven Erikson, Dave Farland, Raymond E. Fiest, Cornelia Funke, Neil Gaiman, David Gemmell, Terry Goodkind, Joe Haldeman, Joanne Harris, Herge, Tracy Hickman, Robin Hobb, Brian Jacques, Diana Wynne Jones, Robert Jordan, Carol Kendall, E. E. Knight, Dean Koontz, Mercedes Lackey, Madeleine L'Engle, Ursula K. LeGuin, Elizabeth A. Lynn, George MacDonald, D. J. MacHale, Juliet Marillier, George R. R. Martin, Anne McCaffrey, Patricia A. McKillip, Stephenie Meyer, Karen Miller, Michael Molloy, Brandon Mull, Garth Nix, Andre Norton, George Orwell, Christopher Paolini, Katherine Paterson, James Patterson, Donita K. Paul, Tamora Pierce, Terry Pratchett, Phillip Pullman, Howard Pyle, Mary Stewart, John Steinbeck, Jonathan Stroud, J. R. R. Tolkien, Margaret Weis, T. H. White, Gene Wolfe, Janny Wurts, and Roger Zelazny

These are some I have read that are different from my usual reading choices and which were very good books:

The Sparrow – Mary Doria Russell

Quietus – Vivian Schilling

Sacred Prey – Vivian Schilling

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell – Susana Clarke

The Time-Traveler’s Wife – Audrey Niffenegger

Memoirs of a Geisha – Arthur Golden

The True Story of Hansel and Gretel - Louise Murphy

Year of Wonders – Geraldine Brooks

Strangewood – Christopher Golden

The Ferryman – Christopher Golden

Toyer – Gardner McKay

The Kite Runner – Khaled Hosseini

The Accidental Tourist – Anne Tyler

Me & Emma – Elizabeth Flock

The Man Who Loved Jane Austen – Sally Smith O’Rourke

Lost Mother – Mary McGarry Morris

Songs in Ordinary Times – Mary McGarry Morris

A Hole in the Universe – Mary McGarry Morris

Fiona Range – Mary McGarry Morris

The Meaning of Night: A Confession – Michael Cox

The Thirteenth Tale – Diane Setterfield

Kill Me – Stephen White

The Shadow of the Wind – Carlos Ruiz Zafon

More Than You Know – Beth Gutcheon

Still Missing – Beth Gutcheon (movie Without a Trace based on this book)

Killer Instinct – Joseph Finder

Family History – Dani Shapiro

The Chatham School Affair – Thomas H. Cook

Sleep Toward Heaven – Amanda Eyre Ward

The Heart-Shaped Box – Joe Hill

Out – Natsuo Kirino

Paranoia – Joseph Finder

A Good and Happy Child – Justin Evans

Medicus – Ruth Downie

A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini

The Goose Girl – Shannon Hale

The Spellman Files – Lisa Lutz (humorous – similar to Bridget Jones)

Water’s Lovely – Ruth Rendell (liked all except the very end)

Wolf Boy - Evan Kuhlman

Ghosts – Noel Hynd

Rage of Spirits – Noel Hynd

The Year of Fog – Michelle Richmond

Regina’s Song – David & Leigh Eddings

The Interview Room – Roderick Anscombe

Cemetery of Angels – Noel Hynd

The Woods – Harlen Coben

The Memory Keeper’s Daughter – Kim Edwards

Grotesque - Natsuo Kirino

Virgin Lies – Roderick Anscombe

The Book of Lost Things – John Connolly

Collected Stories of Ruth Rendell – Ruth Rendell

The Historian – Elizabeth Kostova (this one got kind of boring in places to me as I’m not a historian myself but, basically, it was a pretty good story and I’m kind of proud of myself for having waded through it)

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan – Lisa See

The Slow Moon – Elizabeth Cox

The Soft Room – Karen Heuler

The Chameleon’s Shadow – Minette Walters

King of Lies – John Hart

The Chemistry of Death – Simon Beckett

Written in Bone – Simon Beckett

The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox – Maggie O’Farrell

The Losers – David Eddings

Down River – John Hart

No Time for Goodbye – Linwood Barclay

The Dead Fathers Club – Matt Haig

Master of the Art of Death – Ariana Franklin

The Speed of Dark – Elizabeth Moon

Before I Wake – Robert J. Wiersema

All She Was Worth – Miyuki Miyabe

The Girl Who Stopped Swimming - Joshilyn Jackson

The Will - Reed Arvin

Blood on the Leaves by Jeff Stetson

Rhett Butler’s People by Donald McCaig

Promise Not to Tell – Jennifer McMahon

My Enemy’s Cradle – Sara Young

The Dead Hour – Denise Mina

Abide With Me – Elizabeth Strout

The Waking – Mike Nichols

Tyrannosaur Canyon - Douglas Preston

I have recently branch out to other genre, usually a Stephen King nut!

I have read loads of books lately from these authors:

John Connolly - Every Dead Thing and Dark Hollow, Harper Lee - To Kill a Mocking Bird, Marie Phillips - Gods Behaving Badly, Peter Straub - Lost Boy Lost Girl, Ian Sansom - Ring Road, Alexander McCall Smith - Sunday Philosopy Club, Joe Hill - Heart Shaped Box, Ken Follett's Pillars of th Earth and World Without End was brilliant.

Bernard Cornwall is a great Historical writer I loved Winter King, Enermy of God, Excalibur the story of Arthur.

I've got two series to suggest for you. They are technically fantasy. And, they're almost too funny to be legal. There are a fair few in each series and I seem to go through them too fast.

First is Discworld by Terry Pratchett. He's a satirist and nothing is safe from him. The whole series has mini storylines in it. The Witches, Death, The Wizards and my personal favorite, The Guards. The world has evolved as the books go on from your semi-typical fantasy world to this world with magical equivalents of things that we have today. It started with a camera and exploded from there. The Commander of the guard has basically a palm pilot now.

The second is the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. You may have heard of a show on the Sci-Fi channel. If not, then you won't know anything about them. They're about Harry Dresden who is the only Wizard in the phonebook in the Chicago area. He usually does sort of private investigative things as well as consulting for the police on strange cases. The books don't have a real fantasy feel. It's modern Chicago and Dresden drives a beat up beetle. They're told in first person, it's very conversational, like you were sitting at the bar and Dresden was telling you stories. I will always love Jim Butcher for getting through a whole book with fairies and the like that you would find in Shakespear's Midsummer Night's Dream with only one Shakespear reference on the very last page.

Source(s): Pratchett books and thir odd reading order: http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-order-guides/ Jim Butcher: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Butcher

know you said no vampire books...but I think Twilight is great! It's a good book and it's in a humans point of view, not a vampires! It's also a movie. There's: Twilight; New Moon; Eclipse; and Breaking Dawn... Though Breaking Dawn is not out in the cinema's yet... If not Twilight, then how about some Jaqueline Wilson books? They're awesome!!! And really funny. Hope I helped(:

I like most of the books YOU listed, so hopefully I can help. Here are some of my favorites:

A Farewell to Arms (Ernest Hemingway)-perfect if you can into the iceberg style of mostly dialogue.

The Things They Carried (Tim O'Brien)-great war story about Vietnam soldiers.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Ken Kesey)-my personal favorite book; extremely well written.

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (Johnathan Safran Foer)-this is a relatively recent novel. It's very modern but incredibly fascinating and enjoyable; I would definitely recommend it. P.S.-don't look ahead at the pictures.

The Cider House Rules (John Irving)-takes a while to develop, but entirely worth it when you reach the end of the book.

Raymond Carver-any story by this man is amazing, but once again, you have to be into the minimalist style.

Kurt Vonnegut-To be honest, I haven't read much by him, but all my friends tell me that I need to so I'll pass on the advice.

Hope this helps...happy reading.

• ALEXIS

Try these:

Neil Gaiman is an amazing author! Any of his books are good. Try Neverwhere first.

His Dark Materials trilogy (The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass) by Philip Pullman

The Inheritance Trilogy by Christopher Paolini

The Sight and Fell by David Clement-Davies

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton

Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

Source(s): Enjoy!

Clive Cussler

Jack Du Brul

James Rollins

William Martin

John Ringo

Carl Hiaasen

Michael McClelland

James Michener

Christopher Moore

Queen of Camelot series by Nancy McKenzie.

There's 3 books: Queen of Camelot, Grail Prince and Prince of Dreams ((Tristan and Isolde story.)) It has Merlin, Mordred, Morgan; Arthur and is told from the Queen's point of view.

Read Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King. This is perfect in its singularity, the only time he writes fantasy and does it well! Flagg is the magician in this one, and he is WICKED!

Try some vintage Bradbury-Illustrated Man, Something wicked this way comes; R is for Rocket/S is for Space.

Also try the Acorna Unicorn Girl series by Anne MCCaffry.

Also try the Landover series by Terry Brooks. While you're with Terry Brooks, try the Sword of Shannara series. It has elves, dwarfs, Druids, magic and a magical Sword.

And yes, sit down with J.R Tolkien, go through the whole "Lord of the Ring" series. And sit down with the original "Lion, Witch and Wardrobe." You'll be hooked.

Also read The Lake House by James Patterson it's about winged children!

Try the Eye of the World by Robert Jordan. The whole series is 12 books and you will definitely be entertained. Another great book is Bee Season but I don't know the author.