what UK companies sell stocks and how can i buy them if i live here in the US?

okay so i just recently got in to the whole stocks and market thing. and all i know is if i buy a stock i own that part of the company. but what if i want to buy a stock from a company in the UK but i live in the US and what are some good UK companies to buy the stocks from.

3 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Try buying ADRs (American Depositary Receipts) of companies based in the UK. An ADR "represents the ownership in the shares of a foreign company trading on US financial markets." For some background on ADRs, visit "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Depositary_R... and "http://www.investopedia.com/university/adr/".

    A brief list of British ADRs with buy/sell recommendations can be found here: "http://stocksabroad.com/modules.php?name=UK_ADR". For a more detailed list of all available ADRs from all around the world, including the UK, visit the Bank of New York Mellon's website: "http://www.adrbnymellon.com/dr_directory.jsp" . Once you find a company that looks interesting, research it. Look at the charts, the financials, key reports, analyst recommendations, etc. on the finance websites provided by Yahoo, Google, Reuters, Bloomberg, CNBC, and the WSJ.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Here's a couple that you might want to check out;

    BCS- Barclays (Bank) 9% div.

    BP- British Petroleum (Oil) 5% div.

    Good luck!

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Call your broker.... open a demat account and start trading ........

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.