Help with AP chemistry summer homework?

Ok, so I have AP chem next year, I have not had regular chemistry and I am having a bit of trouble with my summer homework. I think i'm doing alright with stoichiometry, but the memorization is just killing me! I must memorize common ions, chemical symbols and valences of elements and radicals (positive and... show more Ok, so I have AP chem next year, I have not had regular chemistry and I am having a bit of trouble with my summer homework. I think i'm doing alright with stoichiometry, but the memorization is just killing me! I must memorize common ions, chemical symbols and valences of elements and radicals (positive and negative charges), and common polyatomic ions.

I know that practice is going to be the best way to memorize all of these, but do any of you have helpful hints or methods that helped you memorize these?
I'd appreciate the help.