That Guy Mel asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

Can you be friends with fans of a rival team?

I'm a Yankees fan and I have friends who are Red Sox fans. But seeing some people online these days, it seems like some folks can't be friends with people who root for a rival squad, let alone associate with them unless it's work-related. So is it hard for you to be friends with people who root for teams you loathe?

Favorite Answer

i prefer to have friends who like a rival team so we can talk sh!t on eachother

Of course you can be friends with someone who is a fan of a rival team. That's like saying that anyone who has a different opinion than you can't be a friend. Crazy. Differences, in people and opinions, make life interesting. It's childish to not be friends with someone who is a fan of another team.

• Greta

Sure. I could be friends with a Yankee fan if they were on the same "class" level as myself. I don't use the word "suck" to describe other teams, and I'm not disrespectul or ignorant when it comes to baseball.

If I could find a Yankee fan like that, I'd go out of my way to be friends with them.

There's actually quite a few Yankee fans on Y!A who are like that, and that's why I like them. I've met more "good" Yankee fans on Y!A than I have in real life.

Of course you can. I'm a Red Sox fan and I have a few Yankee's fan's as friends. We just argue and talk trash to each other. It just makes our friendship better

I'm a Mets' fan, and I talk with Yankees' fans all the time. They're OK, I know them well, but some of the crud in Yankee Stadium leaves something to be desired.

• Megan

Nah. All the more fun when my team beats theirs!

For instance, I'm a Redskins girl living in Texas, and that isn't easy. ALL my friends are Cowboy fans and I HATE the Cowboys by default. So whenever they play each other, we have bets and text each other every few seconds (HA FUMBLE! or INTERCEPTION!!! or TOUCHDOWN!!!). I think it's a lot of fun... especially when MY team wins.

Danielle, this is why I hate you (not really though)...

Don't come into another section and dis it b/c you don't see the point in it. I don't go to make-up section and say 'make-up is for fake people'.

I'm friends with people who like rival teams. And even on my high school softball team, I'm friends with a girl on a rival team. You leave it all on the field, so you can be friends off the field.

• MJ S

Sure, as long as they aren't delusional and can stick to baseball stats/facts and stay away from blatant erroneous "homer" opinions.

I can talk baseball to fan of the opposing team all night arguing stats and facts.

Sometimes it actually makes the game better because they can explain things about their team I didn't know, and therefore increase my baseball knowledge.

• elias

Yeah, I am friends with a few Dodger fans, and well I am a Giants fan(ehh). We get a long perfectly fine, the arguing makes us better friends, only because its fun to argue!

• dj1973

Yes. I'm a Met fan and I'm married to a Braves fan.

My best friend is a Yankee fan. I talk s#it to him all the time.